Geylang hit Home with sucker-punch for 2-1 win

Geylang International were arguably second best throughout the game but they managed to find two late goals to grab a 2-1 victory over Home United. 

Home had taken the lead in the 50th minute after Zulfahmi Arifin's corner was knocked back into the danger area by Khairul Nizam, and Shahrin Saberin reacted the quickest to stab home.

However, Sahil Suhaimi's looping header had Zulfairuz Rudy well beaten in the 88th minute before Gabriel Quak managed to latch onto Shariff Samat's flick-on and drill in the winner minutes later.

The Eagles' coach Hasrin Jailani admitted he would have taken a draw had the game ended 1-1 and that his side was lucky Quak scored right at the death to walk away from Bishan Stadium on Thursday night with three points.

"If we looked at the game, I don't think we played well," Hasrin said.

"The first half was rubbish, even the second half we were not in control.

"I personally felt a draw would have been good. I consider myself very lucky but it is a very important win, it's a morale-boosting win for the next Singapore Cup game against Albirex."

Indeed, Geylang had a first half to forget, with Home dominating proceedings and enjoying almost all the chances.

It took the hosts only two minutes to work Syazwan Buhari into action as the goalkeeper had to parry away a fierce drive by Ken Ilso.

Moments later, a corner led to a scramble in the box and Song Ui-Yong missed the chance to open the scoring by snatching at his shot at point-blank range.

Azhar Sairudin suffered the same fate in the fifth minute, as his side-foot from Ambroise Begue's cut-back flashed past the post.

Syazwan was called into further action in the first half as he had to turn away Ilso's free-kick from the near post.

The Eagles improved slightly after the restart with Carlos Delgado's free-kick coming off the post.

But it was Home whom still threatened and coach Philippe Aw rued his charges' failure to convert their chances to kill off the Eagles.

"Failure to convert our dominance and failure to deal with two long balls. We should have closed up the games," Aw summed up his side's failings.

"I am very disappointed because the team played well, dominated proceedings and created so many chances."

The chance Aw will rue the most was Nizam's effort in the 66th minute, when Redzwan Atan had threaded the striker through. He proceeded to beat Syazwan but the ball came off the woodwork instead.

Both teams will now gear up for their Singapore Cup fixtures the next week.