Home destroy DPMM in five-goal thrashing

In-form Home United picked up a fourth consecutive victory in the S.League on Thursday night after smashing Brunei DPMM 5-0 to climb to third spot. 

The hosts were simply too good for the defending champions at the Bishan Stadium, as they scored five in a league match for the first time since a 7-3 win over Geylang United in July 2012.

Faris Ramli and Azhar Sairudin gave Home a well-deserved half-time lead, before Ken Ilsø hit a brace after the break and Syahiran Miswan rounded off a thumping triumph.

In fact, the winning margin should have been wider and Home boss Philippe Aw was a little peeved at their inability to score more.

“That’s my frustration - it could have been many more, though we’ll take 5-0,” he said with a half-smile after watching Ilsø spurn two further chances and Faris being denied by the bar.

“I have to give credit to the boys, I think we sent out a signal of intent; our season is on track and we can get better.”

It could have been so different had Shahrazen Said’s snapshot just 50 seconds from kick-off went in, but Zulfairuuz Rudy was alert to make the save.

“I think that save gave him a lot of confidence; if that had gone in it would have been difficult for us,” explained Aw, who revealed that first-choice Hyrulnizam Juma’at was sidelined by reservist.

Faris Ramli scored his second goal in as many starts

The uniformed giants quickly settled after that and after a couple of attacks fizzled out, they broke the deadlock in the tenth minute.

Azhar waltzed past two men and breezed into the box, before unleashing a cross that found the top right corner instead. It was a tad fortuitous, but just reward for his individual endeavor and a second goal in as many games.

Home were tearing DPMM apart with quick passing combinations and Wardun Yussof’s superb save denied Faris, while Ilsø then shot right at him.

Captain Juma’at Jantan hobbled off with a hamstring injury on 20 minutes, but Home’s momentum was not affected.

Centre-back Abdil Qaiyyim made a vital block on Rafael Ramazotti’s goal-bound effort on the half-hour, before then starting the move for the second goal.

His headed clearance fell to Faris, whose backheel allowed Sirina Camara to send Song Ui-young away on the left. The Korean’s cross-field pass picked out Shamil Sharif, whose lob into the box was slid home by Faris for a wonderful team goal.

Shamil provided two assists for his side

“Lightning,” said a delighted Aw. “It’s something we talked about and worked on, and it has come good again. It’s a cracking goal, I would say.”

Despite sending on Hendra Azam and Adi Said for the second half, there was nothing Steve Kean could do to reverse the tide for DPMM.

Ilsø finally found a way past Wardun in the 71st minute, heading in the rebound from his own shot after Azhar had played him in. Two minutes later, it was 4-0 when the Dane beat his man and lashed in a low drive for his eighth goal in as many games.

Substitute Syahiran put the icing on the cake on 85 minutes by lashing in from close range for his first-ever Home goal, leaving Kean a “bitterly disappointed” man.

“Up to tonight, even in games we didn’t get points in, we played well,” the Scot lamented. “Tonight, we didn’t deserve anything and we were second-best to everything.

“I'm shocked because I didn’t think we have that type of performance or result in us. We missed Paulo Sergio (suspended), he’s a big influence, but there was a lot wrong tonight and we’ll be the hardest working team over the next three weeks, without a shadow of a doubt.”