No surprises as Albirex reign supreme on S.League Awards Night
The season may have ended, but the White Swans continue winning on almost all fronts as they snagged all but one award.
Contesting all the categories available, Albirex’s Naoki Naruo deservedly took home the Coach of the Year accolade after helping Albirex clinch an unprecedented quadruple.
Albirex hotshot Atsushi Kawata too was a winner, after his 19 goals and eight assists resulted in him claiming the coveted Player of the Year award.
The White Swans also managed to bring back the Fair Play gong and Goal of the Year honours.
Albirex only failed to grab the Young Player of the Year award. Naofumi Tanaka, who was in great form all season, lost out to Hougang United’s M. Anumanthan.
Anu has showcased his ability to play in midfield and defence this campaign, as he helped to protect a back-four that was riddled with injuries all season.
2016 S.League Awards winners
- Great Eastern Player of the Year: Atsushi Kawata (Albirex Niigata)
- RHB Coach of the Year: Naoki Naruo (Albirex Niigata)
- Yeo’s Young Player of the Year: M. Anumanthan (Hougang United)
- Mitre Goal of the Year: Tomoki Menda (Albirex Niigata)
- Singapore Pools Fair Play Award: Albirex Niigata
- RHB Top Scorer: Rafael Ramazotti (Brunei DPMM)
- The New Paper Fan Club of the Year: Warriors FC Fan Club
- FBT Referee of the Year: Sukhbir Singh
- Yeo’s Assistant Referee of the Year: Ong Chai Lee
- Great Eastern Photo of the Year: Torrential Welcome; Lim Weixiang (FourFourTwo)
- POLAR Story of the Year: Chua Siang Yee (The Straits Times)
Main photo: Weixiang Lim/FourFourTwo