“I train hard, but I can’t seem to keep the weight off because I struggle with my diet. Any healthy eating tips?”
Emmanuel Ananda, via Twitter
More after the break
Landon Donovan says:
“For the most part, it’s about discipline. The older you get, the more it becomes important for you to look after yourself. Your body doesn’t recover in the same way. You have to work harder to keep yourself fit.
It’s about doing all the little things right. If you go home, drink soda and sit in the sun all day, you’re going to feel bad when you train.
You have to be smart – hydrate, eat well and take care of yourself if you want to be prepared every day.
Not only will eating poorly affect your performance on the pitch, but it also makes you feel bad. If you’re going to have a ‘cheat day’, do it at the right times.
I’m strict with what I eat 90 per cent of the time. Because I do that, the other 10 per cent I’m allowed to do what I want.
Three days before a game I’m focused on eating right. One or two days after the game I let myself go a little bit.
It’s about having the right balance. You can’t eat perfectly 100 per cent of the time – if you try doing that, you’ll just go crazy. Sometimes you have to treat yourself a bit.”