Roberto Martinez is focusing on the future with Belgium despite their Euro 2020 elimination last week.
The Spaniard spoke of his “sadness and disappointment” after their quarter-final defeat to Italy in Munich but it is understood it changes nothing in terms of his tenure as Belgium coach.
He is already looking ahead to competing in the Nations League finals in the autumn and trying to steer the Red Devils to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Martinez’s contract runs until the end of those finals, having signed an extension in May 2020, and he has every intention of seeing it out.
National federation chief executive Peter Bossaert had earlier told the Belgian radio and television network Sporza: “Tomorrow we are already starting preparations for the September and October matches.
“Roberto Martinez will be there. No official communication will follow, but there is no reason to change the staff.”
Martinez said after Friday’s defeat to Italy that it was “too raw” to talk about his own future, but is now understood to be ready to focus on the next challenges facing Belgium.
The team were beaten 2-1 by Italy, who advanced to a semi-final against Spain thanks to goals from Nicolo Barella and Lorenzo Insigne, with Romelu Lukaku pulling one back for Belgium from the penalty spot.
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Get the best features, fun and footballing frolics straight to your inbox every week.
Thank you for signing up to Four Four Two. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.