Stunning strikes, keeper c**k-ups & a slaloming streaker's Gregg Davies casts an eye over the weekend just gone...

Kaka? ã100 million? No no, weâÂÂll have none of that poppycock in the Football League.

No need, when thereâÂÂs the likes of Joe Ledley scoring peaches like this for Cardiff against fellow Championship promotion hopefuls Birmingham.

The sweetest of left-footed volleys from the Welshman â who's being linked with a ã5m move to West Ham or Stoke this month â wasn't all that dissimilar to his Wembley wonder-strike which beat Barnsley in last season's FA Cup semi-final.

And like at Wembley, the goal would deservedly have been enough to secure victory for Dave Jonesâ side had it not been for that pesky Lee Bowyer eâ on loan from the Hammers â cracking home an equaliser deep into added time at St. Andrews.

The romantics among us were saddened by the lack of a triumphant debut for new Derby manager Nigel Clough. Instead, QPR profited from two slapstick pieces of first-half defending at Pride Park.

Another new incumbent fared better at Carrow Road, where Norwich battered Barnsley. Canaries legend Bryan Gunn, the man overseeing affairs as caretaker manager, is clearly a natural at the half-time team-talk malarkey, what with his charges planting four into the Tykesâ onion bag after the break.

Gunn: Been there, done that

SaturdayâÂÂs âÂÂRelieved Goalkeeper of the Day Awardâ went to Bristol CityâÂÂs Adriano Basso following the Robinsâ 2-2 draw with Wolves at Ashton Gate.

After 54 minutes the ex-Woking stopper was desperately seeking a hole to leap into, having seen a fluffed kick end up in his own net via Matt Jarvis â and this after the Brazilian glove-man had completely missed Michael KightlyâÂÂs cross, with Neill Collins mopping up from close range.

But Basso redeemed himself admirably soon after, denying Sylvain Ebanks-Blake with a flying one-handed stop. And it proved the catalyst for CityâÂÂs revival, as Dele Adebola and Nicky Maynard netted to rescue a point for last seasonâÂÂs play-off finalists.

League 1's finest comeback came at Carlisle (with a shout out to bottom side Crewe, who twice came from behind to beat Scunthorpe 3-2). Trailing 2-0 to second-placed MK Dons at half-time, the Cumbrians came out all guns blazing and triumphed 3-2 with Joe Anyinsah hogging the glory after his effort deflected up and over despairing Dons keeper Willy Gueret.

However, the division's remarkable result came at Edgar Street.

Second-bottom Hereford, the division's lowest scorers, had been battered 4-0 by Oldham at Boundary Park back in October in a performance described by the Bulls' manager, chairman, director of football and all round head honcho Graham Turner as mâÂÂamongst the worst performances that I can remember in a long time."

So a whiff of revenge was in the air as his side rattled four past the Latics by half-time, adding a fifth for good measure after the break.

Edgar Street became the 91st of the current 92 league grounds graced by Oldham loanee Dean Windass, according to the wily old fella himself.

And although he wonâÂÂt be keen to set foot on HerefordâÂÂs hallowed turf again, it wonâÂÂt be one the soon-to-be-40-year-old forgets in a hurry.

ThatâÂÂs because of the portly streaker who galloped the full length of the pitch towards the end of proceedings, slaloming his way past a string of stewards before being brought down in front of the travelling Athletic fans, who finally had something to cheer about. 

Edgar Street (portly invader not pictured)

Down in the basement division, Darlington also found the net four times in the opening half against Luton, eventually winning 5-1 to propel them in to the automatic promotion places.

At the other end, Grimsby would be propping up the Football League were it not for the points deductions dished out to Bournemouth and Luton.

Having won just two of their previous 23 league outings, Town traipsed to table-topping Wycombe, seven clear of the rest having tasted defeat just once all season.

So you know whatâÂÂs coming: One-nil to the Mariners, courtesy of one swing of Nathan JarmanâÂÂs right boot as he connected first-time with a left-wing cross. Wallop!

But we end on a sour note (or an amusing one, depending whether youâÂÂre a Brentford fan).

Bees striker Nathan Elder returned to the starting line-up against Notts County on Saturday after serving a three-match ban for a sending off at Gillingham before Christmas.

His comeback lasted just eight minutes, being discharged again â perhaps rather harshly on closer inspection â for leading with his arm in an aerial challenge.

The referee who sent him off this time? Stuart Attwell. Yes, him.

Calling all fans! Rate your players' performances at the weekend by visiting Talentspotter  

---------------------------------------------- More to read...

Up The Football League We Go home
Blogs home 
Latest England news
News home
Interviews home
Forums home home

Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access

Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1

*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription

Join now for unlimited access

Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1