Reid empathises with Christie over decision to leave Twitter after red card
Scotland coach Steven Reid empathised with Ryan Christie after the Celtic attacker deactivated his Twitter account following his red card in the defeat to Livingston.
The 24-year-old was sent off for a reckless challenge on Scott Robinson on Sunday before the Lions won 2-0 with their first-ever victory over the Hoops, who lost their place at the top of the Ladbrokes Premiership to Rangers.
Christie joined up with the Steve Clarke’s squad for the upcoming Euro 2020 qualifying double-header against Russia and San Marino with his Twitter account no longer active following reported criticism.
At a media conference Reid spoke of his own social media experience, saying: “It definitely opens you up to abuse and criticism, it is how you can deal with that as an individual.
“The back end of my career, it (Twitter) was just starting to take off and I was in a relegation dog fight with West Brom at the time.
“I came off it because of the abuse, the negative messages you get at times.
“It is just whether the individual can deal with it.
“Out of 100 positive tweets you might get one that is not so positive and it’s how you deal with that.
“For me, I use it sparingly. I try to stay off it as much as I can.
“It is one of those debates at the minute with the amount of abuse going on and directed at players, whether it is really worth being on it, especially when you are in a hard-fought season. It is tough going.
“We spoke briefly last night, obviously he is flat after the result and the red card.
“I have been there myself, been sent off many times so I have that ability to relate to that.
“But in a strange way he will be wanting to get back on the pitch as soon as possible, not to make up for it but to show what he can do, hopefully get rid of that disappointment and put in a couple of decent performances if he gets the opportunity.”
Reid is confident that Christie will continue his good form when he pulls on a dark blue shirt again.
He said: “He has been outstanding this season, his form has been brilliant.
“It was an out-of-character challenge, I am sure he will be wanting to make up for it with club and country as soon as possible.”
Reid also addressed the thorny issue of Declan Gallagher’s first call up on Sunday night – after the withdrawal of Ryan Jack and Grant Hanley – after the 28-year-old Motherwell defender previously served time for an assault conviction.
The former Republic of Ireland defender said: “I know he has spoken in the past about his remorse over the incident.
“He has rebuilt his career if you like and you have to give him some credit for that as well.
“He had to go away, take a look at himself, his lifestyle and he has been given a second chance.
“These opportunities don’t come around too often for him so it is great that he is involved.
“He trained this morning, trained well so we’re looking forward to working with him this week.”