Ashley Young has become the latest footballer to be subjected to racist abuse on social media following Manchester United’s Champions League exit at Barcelona.
The 33-year-old full-back was targeted on Twitter in the wake of Tuesday night’s 3-0 second-leg defeat at the Nou Camp which saw United exit the competition at the quarter-final stage after a 4-0 aggregate defeat.
Anti-discrimination campaigners Kick It Out called upon the social media platform to act following a series of incidents.
The organisation said via its own official Twitter account: “Yet another black player, this time Ashley Young, targeted with racist abuse on social media after tonight’s Champions League game.
“Again, we’re left asking @TwitterUK the same question – when will you take serious action to tackle the rampant discrimination on your platform?”
Twitter was swift to respond, confirming that the posts concerned had violated its abusive behaviour policy and that the account holders would be required to remove them before they could tweet again.
In addition, it will continue to monitor those accounts and to work with Kick It Out, whose intervention it welcomed.
A Twitter spokesperson said: “While we welcome people to express themselves freely on Twitter, we do not tolerate behaviour that crosses the line into abuse, hateful conduct or harassment. Abuse and harassment – no matter who the victim – have no place on Twitter.
“Our team uses proprietary-built internal technology to proactively find abusive content and provides users with a single report that they can email to the police.
“Our Hateful Conduct Policy prohibits the promotion of violence against – or threats of attack towards – people on the basis of certain categories such as race and ethnic origin. As per these policies, we take strong enforcement action if an incident violates our rules.”
Mohamed Salah, Danny Welbeck, Raheem Sterling, Michy Batshuayi, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Moussa Sissoko have all received abuse over the same platform in recent years.
The Young incident came just days after MK Dons striker Chuks Aneke was targeted on Instagram following Saturday’s 2-1 League Two defeat at Tranmere, prompting the Merseyside club to call in police.
Concern is mounting over racism in football after a spate of attacks on players on both social media and in and around stadiums.
England’s black players were subjected to repeated chants during their Euro 2020 qualifier in Montengro last month, while Tottenham defender Danny Rose revealed recently he has “had enough” and “can’t wait” to quit the game.
Meanwhile, Juventus striker Moise Kean was targeted with monkey chants from the stands at Cagliari earlier this month.
Get the best features, fun and footballing frolics straight to your inbox every week.
Thank you for signing up to Four Four Two. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.