Monaco match postponed due to swine flu

MONACO - Montpellier's squad has been hit by the H1N1 flu virus forcing their Ligue 1 game at Monaco on Saturday to be postponed, the French League (LFP) said.

"Because of an H1N1 flu epidemic in Montpellier squad, (the LFP) took the decision to postpone the game between Monaco and Montpellier..." the league said in a statement on Thursday.

The decision was made "to avoid any risk of contagion". The Montpellier squad have been quarantined until Monday morning.

A new date for the game has not been set but Monaco coach Guy Lacombe told reporters it would probably be on January 13.

Montpellier said three players had been diagnosed with H1N1 flu and more cases were expected to follow.

"Eight players are suffering from flu. Three have already tested positive with (the) H1N1 virus," Montpellier doctor Rene Raimondi was quoted as saying on the club website. He did not name the players.

Montpellier's Bosnian defender Emir Spahic was diagnosed with the H1N1 flu virus in August.

Last month's game between arch-rivals Olympique Marseille and Paris St Germain was postponed hours before the scheduled kick-off when three PSG players were diagnosed with H1N1 flu.