Bury “safe” according to chairman Dale

Bury chairman Steve Dale has claimed the Sky Bet League Two club “is safe” after a winding-up order was adjourned in the High Court until May 15.

The Shakers have been given five weeks to settle their debts, the largest being to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for an unpaid tax bill, reported to be around £277,000.

HMRC have taken over the winding-up petition from Bury’s former head coach Chris Brass, who has agreed to the club’s proposals to pay money owed to him in full, the court was told.

Bury wrote on Twitter: “A note from the Chairman: The Chairman would like fans to know our club is safe and we got the result he was after in the High Court. He will be putting out a statement later (on Wednesday).”

The club announced last week that they were experiencing “internal financial restrictions” following a takeover at Gigg Lane in December.

Dale told Press Association Sport last week that the problems had arisen due to “a historical debt” and would be addressed.

Bury survived a winding-up order by HMRC in February when the judge found that the debt owed by the club had been paid.

Businessman Dale took charge in December and replaced Stewart Day as chairman.

Bury are currently fourth in the table, one point off the automatic promotion places, but have lost their last three matches.

Topics