JOHANNESBURG - Monaco midfielder Serge Gakpe is the latest former French under-21 player seeking to take advantage of a change in FIFA regulations to relaunch his international career.
Gakpe said he had been persuaded by Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor to play for Togo next month in a World Cup qualifier against Morocco, the French daily L'Equipe reported on Thursday.
The 22-year-old added he had chosen Togo because they were a good team with a chance to qualify for next year's World Cup and African Nations Cup finals.
"I spoke to Emmanuel Adebayor on the phone and made my decision after that," Gakpe told L'Equipe.
French-born Gakpe qualifies to play for Togo because of dual nationality but before the FIFA Congress in May was disallowed from making the switch because he was over 21.
A vote at the Congress of world football's ruling body in the Bahamas eliminated the age restriction, allowing several players to since change their footballing nationalities.
They include Tottenham Hotspur defender Stephane Bassong, who made his debut for Cameroon on August 11.
Lazio midfielder Mourad Meghni is also French-born but is now a full Algerian international after winning a first cap in a friendly against Uruguay this month. Both had previously been capped by France at under-21 level.comments