Bolton have been given the go-ahead to stage matches at the University of Bolton Stadium until the end of the season by the region’s safety advisory group (SAG).
The beleaguered Championship club had been placed under a prohibition notice under the Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 by SAG, comprising of representatives of the local council, police and emergency services.
That was because SAG had deemed fans’ safety would not be guaranteed. However, the club have managed to “reassure” the group, meaning the notice has been lifted.
A spokesperson for SAG said: “We recognise that Bolton Wanderers Football Club is at the heart of our community and this has been a deeply regrettable situation.
“Partners are going above and beyond to put the plans in place to make sure games go ahead.
“Safety and security have always been our primary concern and we are pleased that the club has been able to reassure us that they are able to host the game in a safe manner.”
Last month Bolton’s match against Millwall was placed in doubt because of safety concerns after staff, including stewards and turnstile operators, were not paid their February wages on time. The match did, however, go ahead.
The prohibition notice initially covered Wanderers’ home games against Ipswich this weekend followed by Middlesbrough next Tuesday.
But SAG said “following rigorous examination”, the club have been able to meet the legal conditions of the general safety certificate.
Get the best features, fun and footballing frolics straight to your inbox every week.
Thank you for signing up to Four Four Two. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.