Doctors banned over Cannavaro case

ROME - Two Juventus doctors have been banned from football for two months after their mishandling of Fabio Cannavaro's treatment for an insect sting, the Italian Olympic Committee said on its website on Thursday.

Doctors Bartolomeo Goitre and Luca Stefanini were punished after a documentation mixup meant Cannavaro did not receive an exemption for an emergency cortisone injection for the sting last year and subsequently failed a drugs test.

Italy captain Cannavaro had already been cleared of any wrongdoing.

Juve said they will appeal against the bans to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

"Juventus acknowledge the sentence but remain convinced that doctors Goitre and Stefanini offered maximum cooperation to the competent sporting institutions," read a statement on the Turin club's website.

"The club, therefore, will present an appeal to CAS."