Prosecutors: Mutu should get one-year ban

ROME - Fiorentina's Romania forward Adrian Mutu should receive a one-year ban for failing two drugs tests in January, Italian anti-doping prosecutors said on Wednesday.

"The prosecutor's department charges the footballer Mutu and requests a one-year ban," read a statement on the Italian Olympic Committee's website.

Mutu twice failed drugs tests in January but said he accidentally took appetite suppressant sibutramin in a herbal medicine.

Mutu's manager Giovani Becali said after a hearing earlier this month he expected the striker to be handed a much shorter ban, of three or four months, because it was a "doping accident".

If a CONI sporting tribunal upholds the prosecutors' request, it will be Mutu's second drugs suspension. He was given a seven-month ban for using cocaine in 2004 and was sacked by then club Chelsea.

The former Parma and Juventus player is still dealing with the consequences of that first positive test, as the Court of Arbitration for Sport backed Chelsea's claim for compensation last year and ordered him to pay over 17 million euros.

He is appealing against the ruling to a Swiss federal court and the situation is now on hold.

Follow on Twitter Join on Facebook