Universitario win without rested Solano

BUENOS AIRES - Villa Espanola were kicked out of the Uruguayan championship and relegated at the weekend for non-payment of debts while their match with Liverpool was cancelled.

A Peruvian refereee left the field under police protection after disallowing two goals for home side Cesar Vallejo while Paraguayan champions Libertad had three players sent off as they lost to Olimpia.


The second stage of the 2008/09 championship, which started at the weekend, will be played with only 15 teams after Villa Espanola were expelled from the tournament.

Villa Espanola's opponents Liverpool were left with a rest day after the club failed to meet Friday's deadline for paying off $60,000 owed to former players.

Villa Espanola director Luis Gomez told reporters that the club had offered a cheque which had been turned down by the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF).

Villa Espanola will be inactive for six months until next season's second division tournament starts in July.

Nacional, who won the first stage, stole a point when Alexander Medina scored an 87th-minute equaliser in a 2-2 draw with Juventud.

Penarol beat Wanderers 1-0 in controversial game where the losers were furious over three offside decisions in the first half. Antonio Pacheco scored the winner with a penalty.


Cesar Vallejo supporters rioted after their team had two goals disallowed and a penalty appeal turned down in the 1-1 draw at home to CNI Iquitos in Trujillo.

Fans hurled missles at the referee at the end of the game and the official had to wait 15 minutes on the pitch before being given a police escort to the changing-rooms.

Universitario thrashed Sport Ancash 5-1 despite resting captain Nolberto Solano and Sporting Cristal beat Alianza Atletico 5-0 in another one-sided game.


Libertad, champions four times in a row and 8-0 winners over 3 de Febrero last week, lost 2-1 to Olimpia after conceding a goal in the fourth minute of injury-time and having three players dismissed in the second half.

Evelio Ordonez headed the winner as Libertad complained that they should have been awarded a free kick for a tackle which started Olimpia's move.

Vladimir Marin (Libertad) and Juan Manuel Lucero (Olimpia) were sent off for fighting in the 57th minute and and Libertad striker Miguel Ximenez followed in the 68th minute for a second bookable offence.

Omar Pouso of Libertad was sent off in injury-time as tempers flared again.


Champions Deportivo Quito, whose squad refused to train last week in a protest over unpaid wages, were beaten 1-0 by newly-promoted Manta after the players agreed to play the match. Cristian Cobena scored the only goal in the 43rd minute.


Millonarios remained winless after