The FourFourTwo Preview: Stoke vs West Brom
- Fulham 1-0 Stoke (Prem)
- Stoke 0-1 Norwich (Prem)
- Tranmere 0-2 Stoke (LC)
- Arsenal 3-1 Stoke (Prem)
- Stoke 0-0 Man City (Prem)
WEST BROM FORM
- WBA 1-1 Arsenal (Prem)
- Man Utd 1-2 WBA (Prem)
- WBA 1-1p Arsenal (LC)
- WBA 3-0 S'land (Prem)
- Fulham 1-1 WBA (Prem)
Moreover, Stoke usually start poorly: they have the Premier League's worst first-half record, they've only opened the scoring in one game, and have allowed the opponents first blood in five of their seven league games. After encouraging early results, the Hughes revolution appears to be hitting a sticky patch, and fans accustomed to direct intervention may not have infinite patience with the Potters' pitter-patter of tiny unpenetrative passes.
Player to watch: Billy Jones (West Brom)
LAST FIVE MEETINGS
- Stoke 0-0 WBA (Prem, Mar 13)
- WBA 0-1 Stoke (Prem, Dec 12)
- Stoke 1-2 WBA (Prem, Jan 12)
- WBA 0-1 Stoke (Prem, Aug 11)
- Stoke 1-1 WBA (Prem, Feb 11)
Former Chelsea team-mates born barely two months apart in late 1963, Mark Hughes and Steve Clarke have taken very different managerial paths. Having spent years soaking up knowledge as an assistant manager, the Scot has only just reached 50 games as gaffer, whereas the Welshman is closing in on 400.
Facts and figures
- Stoke have kept a clean sheet in 6 of their previous 8 Premier League games against West Brom.
- West Brom, currently on a 4-game unbeaten league run, have never gone 5 league games without a loss under Steve Clarke.
- No side has lost more Premier League games in 2013 than Stoke (15).
- There have been just 13 goals scored in the eight Premier League meetings between these two sides, with 7 of these being scored in the final 10 minutes.
- The Potters have scored with just 5.8% of their shots this season in the Premier League - the lowest ratio in the competition.
- Stoke have hit the woodwork (4) as many times as they have scored (4) in the league this season.
- Mark Hughes has currently won 99 matches as a Premier League manager (from 277 games).
- If only first halves counted, Stoke would be bottom of the Premier League on three points.
- Since his move to West Brom, Morgan Amalfitano has averaged 12 crosses per game.
- The Potters have only scored 4 league goals in 7 games so far, equalling their worst-ever goal haul at this stage of a top-flight campaign.