PSG stop selling away tickets until summer

PARIS - Paris Saint-Germain will stop selling tickets for away matches for the rest of the season following the death of a fan after he was beaten up by a rival group from his own club.

"We will not resume selling (away) tickets before next season," club president Robin Leproux told a news conference on Thursday.

"We will take new and efficient measures to push violence away from the Parc des Princes and when we travel," he added without elaborating.

The 38-year-old fan, who was not named, fell into a coma after a clash between rival groups of PSG fans before a Ligue 1 game against Olympique Marseille in Paris on Feb. 28. He died in hospital late on Wednesday night.

There is a long-standing feud between rival PSG fans from the Kop of Boulogne and the Tribune d'Auteuil. In the 2005-06 season the two groups were involved in riots at home and away grounds.

"It is news we were all fearing," Interior minister Brice Hortefeux told RTL radio after learning of the fan's death. He added that next week's French Cup game between AJ Auxerre and PSG would be played behind closed doors.


PSG will also play their next two league matches behind closed doors, their game at Nice on Saturday is to take place at an empty stadium after the French league (LFP) took disciplinary action against Nice fans for bad behaviour at a match at Monaco.

The LFP had already decided the PSG v Boulogne league game scheduled for March 28 would be played behind closed doors following clashes between PSG and Marseille fans in March 2009.

On Wednesday, four PSG supporters were detained in custody for allegedly having played an "active role" in the beating of the fan.

"Unfortunately we had been saying for long that one day someone would die," Philippe Pereira, a spokesman for the Kop of Boulogne, told French TV channel I<Tele.

"The worst has happened. Passions transformed into sordid, senseless, murderous rage. Love of the jersey has become hate of the other, hate of sport, hate of life," Rama Yade, the junior minister for sport, said in a statement.

"It is a victory for barbarism and a defeat for sport, fraternity and civilisation. Everyone should be concerned, first and foremost the leaders of all clubs."

Follow on Twitter Join on Facebook