Chile championship resumes following quake

BUENOS AIRES - Chile's championship resumed at the weekend after an interruption of more than two weeks following the massive earthquake that devastated parts of the country and left hundreds of people dead.

Penarol increased their perfect opening start to eight wins in Uruguay, while Peruvian champions Universitario won for the first time after three defeats.


The Chilean championship resumed with a 3-3 draw between San Luis and Nublense, whose goalkeeper Jorge Deschamps was sent off in the 66th minute.

Midfielder Luis Flores gave Nublense a 2-1 halftime lead before Deschamps brought down Mario Pierani and the forward converted the penalty to put San Luis level at 2-2. Despite being a man short Nublense's Red Devils went ahead again through Jose Luis Munoz.

Joel Soto secured a point for San Luis with his second goal of the match when he scored a last-minute equaliser after taking a fine long pass directly from goalkeeper Luciano Palos, racing though the middle unchallenged and rounding Deschamps's reserve Maximiliano Scapparoni.

After only five matches were possible, Union Espanola lead with 15 points from seven games after a 1-1 draw with Santiago Morning. Universidad de Chile have 13 from six.

Sunday's late match in which Audax Italiano led Deportes La Serena 2-1 was abandoned in the second half due to a power cut that affected many parts of the country.


Sergio Blanco scored a hat-trick with two goals in the opening seven minutes and including two penalties while fellow striker Sebastian Balsas hit two as champions Nacional crushed 10-man Atenas 6-0. Defender Jose da Silva was sent off on the hour.

Penarol beat Central Espanol 2-0 to stretch their perfect run to eight wins, equalling the club record, and striker Tony Pacheco scored both goals to take his championship leading tally to 12.

Espanol keeper Ignacio de Leon was sent off shortly before halftime after conceding a penalty. Pacheco converted and then added his second goal two minutes later.

Penarol lead by five points from second-placed Fenix, while Nacional are eight points behind their arch-rivals.


Champions Universitario won 1-0 at home to Jose Galvez with a 77th minute goal by Piero Alva for their first points after three defeats, their worst start to a league championship this decade.

They have a match in hand after last weekend's meeting with Total Chalaco was suspended due to a sponsorship row which the federation has sent to an arbitration panel.

Sporting Cristal lost their perfect record but are still unbeaten after a 0-0 draw with Alianza Atletico. They lead with 13 points from five matches.


Uruguayan striker William Ferreira scored a 12-minute hat-trick in the second half as Bolivar crushed 10-man Real Mamore 6-1.

Defender Ovidio Guatia, who had scored an own goal from a Charles da Silva free kick to put Bolivar 2-1 up, was sent off four minutes before halftime for a second yellow card offence.