Skip to main content

Mancini: Tevez could return within three weeks

Tevez issued an unreserved apology on Tuesday and withdrew his appeal against a gross misconduct charge handed to him by the Premier League leaders after spending most of the past three months in his homelend without permission after a seemingly terminal fall-out with the coach.

NEWS:Tevez says sorry over his conduct

"I'm happy with what Carlos said. Tomorrow I will talk to him," Mancini said after City completed a 6-1 aggregate victory over Porto in the Europa League with a 4-0 thrashing of the Portuguese side on Wednesday.

"I've accepted his apology. There's a chance he can play for Manchester City again. I think he needs two or three weeks to train, and some games, but if he's ready in two or three weeks that's normal."

"Carlo knows the team very well. In the last six or seven months the team has played very well and are top of the Premier League," Mancini added.

"But Carlo is a top striker. He can help us to do a good job in the next two months."

The events of the past 24 hours represent a remarkable turnaround after the 28-year-old seemed unlikely ever to play for the club again following a bitter fall-out that began when he refused to warm up during City's Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich in September.

Italian Mancini said in the wake of that incident that Tevez was "finished" at the club.

The player's subsequent unauthorised absence prompted City to fine him six weeks' wages after finding him guilty of gross misconduct for serious breaches of contract.

Only last week Tevez appeared to further isolate himself when he accused Mancini of treating him "like a dog" in Munich, an accusation flatly rejected by Mancini.

"Sergio is another top striker - he was important in this game and during the season. It is important to have all the strikers available at this stage," Mancini said.