On This Day in 2004: England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson agrees contract extension

Soccer – David Beckham Filers

Sven-Goran Eriksson vowed to see out his England contract after agreeing a two-year extension on this day in 2004.

Eriksson, who was already contracted up to the 2006 World Cup, committed himself through to the 2008 European Championship.

The Swede was emphatic in insisting he would not be tempted to break the new deal, whoever came calling in the future.

Sven-Goran Eriksson took England to three major tournaments

Sven-Goran Eriksson took England to three major tournaments (Owen Humphreys/PA)

Eriksson was forced to declare his hand after he was photographed in a secret meeting with Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon. He had also been linked with Real Madrid and Inter Milan.

At a spiky press conference, the then 56-year-old defended his right as an ambitious manager to sound out other job opportunities but was adamant he would not be lured back into club management before Euro 2008.

“It’s always difficult to understand that whoever has this job should be a saint, should not earn a lot of money, should not have a private life and should not listen to other possibilities in life,” he said.

“Even if I’m the England manager, I think that I have human rights to listen to other clubs. You can never convince me that I shouldn’t have that right.

Sven-Goran Eriksson, left, was eventually replaced by Steve McClaren

Eriksson, left, was eventually replaced by Steve McClaren (Owen Humphreys/PA)

“I admit that I’ve listened many times to other jobs but I am still here and I’m proud to be here. If I wanted to leave why should I sign a new contract?”

Eriksson eventually left his post after the 2006 World Cup. The Football Association had announced in January of that year that he was to step down following damaging revelations in a newspaper.

England went out of the World Cup on penalties after their quarter-final with Portugal ended goalless. They lost skipper David Beckham to injury just after half-time and Wayne Rooney was sent off after 62 minutes for a stamp on Ricardo Carvalho.

It was the third time Eriksson had led the Three Lions to the quarter-final stage of a major tournament. He was succeeded by Steve McClaren.

Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access

Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1

*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription

Join now for unlimited access

Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1