The group looking to establish a new phoenix club in Bury says its resolve “remains as strong as ever” despite a winding-up petition against the existing club being adjourned until December.
Bury, who were expelled from the English Football League in August after owner Steve Dale failed to provide guarantees over the club’s financial sustainability, have been given more time to settle their debts in a bid to avoid a winding-up order.
Lawyers for the club told a specialist insolvency and companies court in London on Wednesday that a further extension was needed to investigate whether the club has paid too much tax to HM Revenue and Customs.
"There will be a football team in Bury come August 2020 and our resolve to see this through remains as strong as ever"— Bury Phoenix (@BuryPhoenix) October 30, 2019
Judge Nicholas Briggs adjourned the case until December 4.
The delay adds extra complication to plans to form a phoenix club. The people behind that project are working with the Forever Bury supporters’ group to present a plan which they hope would meet Football Association approval for re-entry to the football pyramid.
A statement published on buryphoenix.co.uk indicated that they remain determined to forge ahead.
“Whilst the fate of The Bury Football Club Ltd continues to officially hang in the balance, the work of the Phoenix group and the volunteers involved will continue,” read the statement.
“The town of Bury needs and deserves a football club. It needs a football club that will never find itself in this position ever again.
“We will continue to sow the seeds for a rebirth for when the seemingly inevitable occurs. There will be a football team in Bury come August 2020 and our resolve to see this through remains as strong as ever.”
Bury became the first club to drop out of the EFL since Maidstone were liquidated in 1992.
A bid to reinstate the club in Sky Bet League Two for the start of next season was rejected by the remaining 71 member clubs of the EFL in September.
A statement from the club on Friday suggested they were confident the winding-up order would be dismissed.
Last week, EFL executive chair Debbie Jevans said at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee hearing that “lessons had to be learned” from Bury’s demise.
An EFL governance review, headed by QC Jonathan Taylor, will look at the circumstances which led to the club’s expulsion from the league.
Get the best features, fun and footballing frolics straight to your inbox every week.
Thank you for signing up to Four Four Two. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.