Record revenues for Bundesliga in 2007/08

BERLIN - Revenues grew by 10 percent in the 2007-08 season to just under two billion euros with fan numbers also on the increase as stadium capacities grow, the German Football League (DFL) said on Friday.

The 36 clubs in the top two leagues saw total revenues rise for the fourth consecutive year to 1.93 billion euros, up from 1.75 billion, the DFL said in a report published on their website.

The German top division, the Bundesliga, accounted for 81 percent of revenues with the second division accounting for the remaining 19 percent for a period that largely predated the onset of the world financial crisis.

Spectator figures across both leagues also grew by about 2,000 per game, the seventh successive annual growth, to a total of almost 17.5 million spectators, up from about 16.2 million the year before.

Several new or renovated stadiums, including Hoffenheim's Rhein-Neckar Arena and Bayer Leverkusen's BayArena, are expected to further boost total fan numbers.

"We cannot rest on what we have accomplished," league president Reinhard Rauball said in the report. "It is our duty to further innovate so we can strengthen the league even more."

Several Bundesliga teams are in the process of reducing their budgets for next season as the credit crunch that set in after the 2007/8 season, begins to take hold in German football.