Van Dijk surpasses Suarez as Liverpool make statement signing
We're not yet into January but the coming transfer window has already seen a momentous piece of business.
Virgil van Dijk has been put out of his misery at Southampton, with Liverpool having agreed a fee to bring the Netherlands international to Anfield.
The centre-back will reportedly cost £75million, with Saints confirming on their official website that the sum is the biggest that has ever been paid for a defender.
It's a major statement of intent from Liverpool, who have shattered their transfer record for the second time since the end of last season, and it means Van Dijk now holds a place in the list of the top 10 most expensive deals in football history, having surpassed former Anfield favourite Luis Suarez in the process...
Liverpool Football Club can confirm they have reached an agreement with Southampton for the transfer of Virgil van Dijk.
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) December 27, 2017
1. NEYMAR: BARCELONA TO PSG – €222M
2. KYLIAN MBAPPE: MONACO TO PSG – €180M (permanent deal to be completed in 2018)
=3. OUSMANE DEMBELE: BORUSSIA DORTMUND TO BARCELONA – €105M
=3. PAUL POGBA: JUVENTUS TO MANCHESTER UNITED – €105M
5. GARETH BALE: TOTTENHAM TO REAL MADRID – €100.8M
6. CRISTIANO RONALDO: MANCHESTER UNITED TO REAL MADRID – €94M
7. GONZALO HIGUAIN: NAPOLI TO JUVENTUS – €90M
8. NEYMAR: SANTOS TO BARCELONA – €86.2M
9. ROMELU LUKAKU: EVERTON TO MANCHESTER UNITED – €84.8M
10. VIRGIL VAN DIJK: SOUTHAMPTON TO LIVERPOOL – €84.5M
11. LUIS SUAREZ LIVERPOOL TO BARCELONA - €82.3M
(*Prices are as reported at the time of transfers being completed.)