Al Hadari ban put on hold

LAUSANNE - A four-month ban on long-serving Egypt goalkeeper Essam Al Hadari has been put on hold after he appealed against the ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

CAS said on Tuesday that it had also frozen a ban on Al Hadari's Swiss club FC Sion from making any domestic or international signings for the next two transfer periods.

The sanctions against the 36-year-old goalkeeper and the club were handed out by FIFA's Dispute Resolution Chamber following the player's controversial move from Egyptian club Al Ahli last year.

Al Hadari and Sion were also ordered to pay 900,000 Euros between them to Al Ahli for breach of contract.

CAS said it would make a final ruling in approximately four months' time.

Al Hadari, who has won all of Africa's top honours at club and international level, walked out on Al Ahli after helping Egypt win the African Nations Cup in February last year.

Although still apparently under contract to Al Ahli, the player cited article 17 of FIFA's transfer regulations which sets out the possible sanctions that can be imposed on players who breach their contracts.

Al Hadari has won around 90 caps in an international career spanning 12 years and was in the team which won the African Nations Cup in 2006 and 2008.

He played in the Confederations Cup in South Africa last month and was inspirational in Egypt's shock 1-0 win over Italy.

He made more than 500 appearances for Al Ahli during 12 years at the club.


SHARES
comments