Everton hit with new Saha setback

Everton's bad luck with strikers continued on Friday with the news that Louis Saha's hamstring problem will keep him out of action for at least another month. The injury-plagued Frenchman last played at the end of November and had been expected to return for the Christmas fixtures but manager David Moyes told the club's website that a new scan had revealed damage that would keep him out for "four to five weeks".

Moyes has already lost Yakubu Aiyegbeni for the season with a ruptured Achilles while James Vaughan is not expected back until March because of a knee injury.

Victor Anichebe, who has a long-standing back problem, returned from three weeks on the sidelines with a late run off the bench in last week's 3-0 win over Sunderland.

In their absence Everton have been playing with Australian midfielder Tim Cahill as a lone striker and the tactic has worked well.

Wins over Manchester City, Middlesbrough and Sunderland and a goalless draw with Chelsea have lifted them to sixth in the standings.

"The boys are playing really well at the minute and I'm pleased with how they are doing. Long may it continue and we are all looking forward to the game," Moyes said ahead of Saturday's tricky trip to League Two Macclesfield in the FA Cup third round.

"We want to do well in the FA Cup. It's been a long time since we had a run in it and hopefully this will be the year when we change that.

"We have had Macclesfield watched a number of times and we always do our homework.

"We have prepared properly for this game but we prepared properly for the game at Shrewsbury," added Moyes in reference to Everton's shock defeat by the then-fourth tier club six years ago.

"I don't have many options, so I won't be changing things."