Susic to recall Salihamidzic and Papac

SARAJEVO - Bosnia's new coach Safet Susic will recall players who have been boycotting the team in a bid to create an 18-man squad that can take the side to Euro 2012, he said on Wednesday.

Midfielders Hasan Salihamidzic of Juventus and Sasa Papac of Rangers are among several foreign-based players who have boycotted internationals in protest against the leaders of Bosnia's football federation (NFSBiH).

"I believe Salihamidzic could offer a great deal to the national side and plan to talk to him and make him return to the team. The same applies for Papac," Susic told his first news conference.

"In order to qualify for the European Championship we must have a team of at least 18 top players. That it something we lack at the moment."

Susic was appointed last month after Miroslav Blazevic resigned when Bosnia failed to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

The public image of the NFSBiH has been hurt by allegations of involvement in illegal activities and corruption.

Until last year several foreign-based players boycotted Bosnia's matches and called for the resignation of the NFSBiH leaders, who they said were elected or appointed because of ethnic affiliation rather than professional qualifications.

Susic, 54, started his coaching career in 1994 with French club Cannes and has also managed teams in Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

He enjoyed his best playing years with Paris St Germain and represented Yugoslavia more than 50 times.