Barcelona protected with Messi release clause – Amor
Guillermo Amor said Lionel Messi's astronomical release clause should see Barcelona avoid a repeat of Neymar's exit.
The best features, fun and footballing quizzes, straight to your inbox every week.
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Five times a week
FourFourTwo Daily
Fantastic football content straight to your inbox! From the latest transfer news, quizzes, videos, features and interviews with the biggest names in the game, plus lots more.
Once a week
...And it’s LIVE!
Sign up to our FREE live football newsletter, tracking all of the biggest games available to watch on the device of your choice. Never miss a kick-off!
Join the club
Get full access to premium articles, exclusive features and a growing list of member rewards.
Barcelona needed to protect themselves with Lionel Messi's release clause after Neymar's shock exit, director Guillermo Amor said.
Messi, 30, finally signed a new deal with the LaLiga leaders, extending his stay until 2021 with an astronomical €700million release cause.
Barca saw Neymar leave in August after Paris Saint-Germain paid a world-record €222m – the Brazilian's release clause.
Amor, a club great now responsible for Barcelona's institutional and sporting relations for the first team, said lessons had been learned after Neymar's departure.
"We were never nervous," he said after his side's 1-1 draw with Valencia on Sunday.
"Lionel was always very happy at Barca and we want him to retire here, as he wishes.
"We are talking about the clause and with Neymar's experience we must protect ourselves."
The best features, fun and footballing quizzes, straight to your inbox every week.
