The Costa Rica World Cup 2022 squad is expected to be named in October, and Luis Fernando Suarez has hinted at who could be included with his squad for September’s friendlies.
Costa Rica face South Korea and Uzbekistan this month as their preparation for the showpiece event in Qatar continues.
Suarez's side booked their spot at the finals by beating New Zealand in June's intercontinental play-offs.
The Ticos are on their best-ever streak of qualification, appearing in a third successive World Cup (and a sixth overall).
They look set to face a tough challenge this time around, having been drawn against four-time champions Germany, 2010 winners Spain, and Japan.
Costa Rica World Cup 2022 squad: The squad for the September internationals
- GK: Esteban Alvarado (Herediano)
- GK: Aaron Cruz (Deportivo Saprissa)
- GK: Patrick Sequeira (Lugo)
- DF: Juan Pablo Vargas (Millonarios)
- DF: Keysher Fuller (Herediano)
- DF: Oscar Duarte (Al-Wehda)
- DF: Bryan Oviedo (Real Salt Lake)
- DF: Francisco Calvo (Konyaspor)
- DF: Kendall Watson (Deportivo Saprissa)
- DF: Carlos Martinez (San Carlos)
- MF: Carlos Mora (Alajuelense)
- MF: Celso Borges (Alajuelense)
- MF: Jewison Bennette (Sunderland)
- MF: Bryan Ruiz (Alajuelense)
- MF: Daniel Chacon (Cartagines)
- MF: Anthony Hernandez (Puntarenas)
- MF: Douglas Lopez (Santos de Guapiles)
- MF: Aaron Suarez (Alajuelense)
- MF: Gerson Torres (Herediano)
- MF: Orlando Galo (Herediano)
- MF: Roan Wilson (Grecia)
- MF: Alvaro Zamora (Deportivo Saprissa)
- MF: Brandon Aguilera (AD Guanacasteca)
- FW: Anthony Contreras (Herediano)
- FW: Johan Venegas (Alajuelense)
- FW: Joel Campbell (Leon)
Costa Rica World Cup 2022 squad: How many players are Costa Rica allowed to take?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship for the first time at a major tournament, as a special measure brought in due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Now it has been announced that 26-player squads will return for the Qatar World Cup, an expansion from the usual 23-man teams.
When will the final Costa Rica World Cup 2022 squad be announced?
This year’s World Cup is the first to take place at the end of the year, running from November 21-December 18.
As well as their crucial play-off victory, Costa Rica also got their 2022-23 CONCACAF Nations League campaign underway in June, defeating Martinique and losing to Panama.
Pre-tournament friendlies should help Suarez fine-tune his final squad, which would usually be announced around six weeks before the tournament starts.
That may change with club football being played closer to the beginning of the World Cup than normal, though.
Who will make the final Costa Rica 2022 World Cup squad?
Barring injuries or bans, there are a few players we expect to be dead certs for the final Costa Rica squad.
Right towards the top of the list are three-time Champions League-winning goalkeeper Keylor Navas, midfielder Celso Borges and skipper Bryan Ruiz - formerly of Fulham - and ex-Arsenal forward Joel Campbell - all of whom have over 100 caps to their name.
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Tom Hancock started freelancing for FourFourTwo in April 2019 and has also written for The Analyst and When Saturday Comes, among others. He supports Wycombe Wanderers and has a soft spot for Wealdstone. A self-confessed statto, he has been known to watch football with a spreadsheet (or several) open...