Jermain Defoe's first goal for Sunderland helped Gus Poyet's men to a relieving 2-0 win over fellow strugglers Burnley at the Stadium of Light.
Connor Wickham's third league goal of the season fired the Black Cats ahead after 20 minutes, before Defoe struck a second before half-time.
On a day where Leicester, QPR, Hull, West Brom, Crystal Palace and Burnley all lost, this was a huge three points for the north-east side, who lift themselves four points above the drop zone.
- Sunderland have won 7 and lost 0 of their last 9 home games against Burnley in league competition.
- Sunderland scored with 2 of their 3 shots on target versus Burnley.
- The Clarets have only kept 1 clean sheet in their 30 Premier League away matches, conceding 2 or more in 24 of them.
- Connor Wickham's last 5 Premier League goals have all arrived at the Stadium of Light.
- Burnley have conceded the most headed goals in the Premier League this season (12).
- Jermain Defoe scored his first Premier League goal since January 2014.
- Burnley are the 33rd different team Defoe has scored against in the Premier League (out of 37 teams faced).
- Defoe has scored in 14 consecutive Premier League campaigns.
- Sunderland recorded their first Premier League win in 6 attempts (D1 L4).
Analyse Sunderland 2-0 Burnley with Stats Zone
Get the best features, fun and footballing frolics straight to your inbox every week.
Thank you for signing up to Four Four Two. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.