Huge Liverpool transfer OFF, as manager confirms it's 'not the moment': report
Liverpool are looking to finish the transfer window on a high - but one big deal won't happen
Liverpool have seen their hope for another big-money signing dashed.
The Reds have had a modest summer after spending well over £400 million last summer – and with the likes of Bradley Barcola and Yankuba Minteh still on the table, new Liverpool boss Andoni Iraola has promised that new players will arrive at Anfield.
But the Basque won't be getting his hands on Adam Wharton of Crystal Palace – and that's confirmed.
Adam Wharton's Liverpool move won't be happening, says manager
So far this summer, only Victor Munoz and Jeremy Jacquet have joined Liverpool on permanent deals – but speaking to Reds one-club man Jamie Carragher in an interview for Sky Sports, Iraola confirmed, “We'll definitely sign players”.
“Some deals you have to wait until the end,” the former Bournemouth gaffer stated, adding, “At the end, the important picture is the one we have on September 1, because we are still quite thin.”
The Reds have just parted with academy product Curtis Jones, and CaughtOffside recently dropped an exclusive report on how the 20-time champions of England were “targeting an ambitious move” for Palace controller Wharton to replace his fellow England international.
But in quotes relayed by transfer influencer Fabrizio Romano in a post on X (formerly Twitter), new Palace boss Pierre Sage says that “it's not the moment” for Wharton to leave Selhurst Park.
The best features, fun and footballing quizzes, straight to your inbox every week.
“Adam can play at a big club but I think one year with us, one year with a new dynamic, will be good for him and we need him,” Sage said.
Wharton signed for the Eagles from Blackburn Rovers in January 2024, after breaking into his hometown club's senior side as a teenager and becoming a regular in the Championship.
A call-up for England and four international caps have followed, with plenty suggesting that Wharton could be one of his country's most important midfielders of the next decade.
The 22-year-old has been linked with moves to Liverpool and both Manchester clubs this summer, after being named as the Man of the Match in the Conference League final for Palace last term.
FourFourTwo understands that Palace view Wharton as almost unsellable this summer, with the Lancastrian likely to become a £100m transfer when he eventually departs South London.
Wharton is worth €70m, as per Transfermarkt. Liverpool play Newcastle United when Premier League action begins again this weekend.

Mark White is the Digital Content Editor at FourFourTwo. During his time on the brand, Mark has written three cover features on Mikel Arteta, Martin Odegaard and the Invincibles, and has written pieces on subjects ranging from Sir Bobby Robson’s time at Barcelona to the career of Robinho. An encyclopedia of football trivia and collector of shirts, he first joined the team back in 2020 as a staff writer.
You must confirm your public display name before commenting
Please logout and then login again, you will then be prompted to enter your display name.