Skip to main content

How did Kateryna Monzul fare as she refereed her first England game?

Kateryna Monzul became the first woman to referee an England fixture after officiating their World Cup qualifying win over Andorra.
(Image credit: Nick Potts)

History was made as Kateryna Monzul became the first woman to referee an England game as she took charge of the 5-0 World Cup qualifying win over Andorra.

The 40-year-old Ukrainian has prior experience of officiating men’s football but this was the first time the Three Lions have had a match overseen by a female.

Here, the PA news agency takes a closer look at how Monzul fared at the Estadi Nacional on a night where some of her decisions were not without controversy.

1st minute

It was not the ideal start to the evening for Munzul who appeared to blow for kick-off too early, restarting the game twice after the England players had taken the knee.

17th minute

See more

Monzul blew to rule out Ben Chilwell’s goal with her assistant flagging Jadon Sancho offside in the build-up. However, after VAR Stephanie Frappart spent almost two minutes deliberating, Monzul would award the goal to put the visitors 1-0 ahead.

42nd minute

John Stones and Cristian Martinez had a coming together after a challenge in the corner and Monzul did well to disperse the players before issuing yellow cards to the pair.

45th minute

Andorra v England – FIFA World Cup 2022 – European Qualifying – Group I – Estadi Nacional

Kateryna Monzul shows a yellow card to Jadon Sancho (Nick Potts/PA)

Monzul arguably over-reacted by booking Sancho after he knocked the ball away ahead of an Andorra free-kick on the stroke of half-time. There was then no card shown to Jesus Rubio despite a high challenge on Sancho moments later.

55th minute

Marc Rebes was next to be cautioned by Monzul after swinging a stray arm into the body of Chilwell.

67th minute

Rebes should have been shown a second yellow after clattering into Conor Coady but Monzul decided a warning was enough for the defender.

78th minute

Monzul awarded England a penalty, a decision which was confirmed by VAR as Jesus Rubio tripped substitute Jack Grealish. James Ward-Prowse saw his penalty saved but tucked home the rebound.