Tanguy Ndombele has told Jose Mourinho he no longer wishes to play for the Tottenham boss.
Ndombele has endured a difficult relationship with his manager since Mourinho was appointed as Mauricio Pochettino's successor in November.
The Portuguese labelled Ndombele's performance against Burnley (opens in new tab) in March "disappointing" - and the midfielder has not played since.
Premier League managers have been able to use up to five substitutes since the season resumed last week.
Mourinho played down suggestions that he had fallen out with the 23-year-old after Tuesday's 2-0 victory over the Hammers.
You know, it’s not just him. I try to do the best for my team. I cannot start the game with 12 or 13 players, I try to do the best for the team," he said (opens in new tab).
“Sometimes I apologise to my players that are not my first choice because I feel their work in training deserves something more than I give but I have to do my job the best I can and I felt for these two matches I didn’t need him.”
But according to Telefoot (opens in new tab), Ndombele has informed Mourinho that he does not want to play under him again.
Several of his team-mates attempted to mediate, but the relationship between the pair has reportedly broken down.
That poses a significant headache for chairman Daniel Levy, who sanctioned a £55m transfer fee to sign Ndombele last summer.
The former Lyon man is under contract at the Tottenham Hotspur (opens in new tab) Stadium until 2025.
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1