Dusan Tadic's saved penalty proved disastrous for Southampton as Ashley Barnes's 73rd-minute winner extended their losing streak to four games at Turf Moor.
The Serbia international's second-half spot-kick was saved by Tom Heaton on the hour mark, before former Austria U20 man Barnes struck to give Sean Dyche's men a huge three points on home soil.
- Burnley won their first-ever Premier League game in the month of December, at the 9th attempt (W1 D4 L4).
- Danny Ings has scored or assisted 6 of Burnley’s last 7 Premier League goals (4 goals, 2 assists).
- Barnes’s goal was just the 5th that Burnley have scored in the second half of a Premier League game so far this season – only Aston Villa (2) have scored fewer after half-time.
- Tadic’s penalty miss ended a run of 29 successive penalties scored by Southampton in the Premier League.
- The last Southampton player to miss a penalty in the Premier League was Jim Magilton in April 1997.
- Southampton have failed to score in the first half in 5 of their last 6 Premier League games, netting just once in the other game of this run.
Analyse Burnley 1-0 Southampton yourself using Stats Zone (opens in new tab)
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Gregg Davies is the Chief Sub Editor of FourFourTwo magazine, joining the team in January 2008 and spending seven years working on the website. He supports non-league behemoths Hereford and commentates on Bulls matches for Radio Hereford FC. His passions include chocolate hobnobs and attempting to shoehorn Ronnie Radford into any office conversation.
Get the best features, fun and footballing frolics straight to your inbox every week.
Thank you for signing up to Four Four Two. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.