Adam Sarota says his exploits in Europe are no guarantee of World Cup selection and he is desperate to make up for lost time to show coach Ange Postecoglou he deserves a berth in Brazil.
The FC Utrecht star is just one of a host of midfield talent at Postecoglou's disposal as the boss tries to settle on a final squad of 23 for next month's tournament.
Sarota's build up towards the World Cup has been anything but smooth, missing almost the whole of 2013 after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament.
The 25-year-old managed to play the second half of the most recent season in the Eredivisie, racking up 15 games under to get back into green and gold calculations.
But Sarota is taking nothing for granted now, especially with so many players vying for a midfield berth.
Mark Milligan, Mile Jedinak, James Holland, James Troisi, Oliver Bozanic, Matt McKay, Josh Brillante and Massimo Luongo are also in the 30-man squad, meaning every session is crucial.
"It's a very important few weeks for everyone to perform well and I think every player knows they don't have a ticket, even in the 27 [to Brazil]," Sarota said on Saturday.
"Each player knows it's not 100 percent done. I have to try and train well and hopefully that's enough.
"I'm not thinking I'm going to Brazil just because I play overseas. Even though there's a lot of A-League players here, they are also very good.
"I'm not rating my chances highly but I'm also not underestimating myself."
A groin injury suffered in Utrecht's penultimate game of the season has so far restricted Sarota to only limited time in each of the sessions in 'Camp Socceroo' on the NSW Central Coast.
He is confident of joining in full training as of Sunday and is confident he can still impress Postecoglou despite being a couple of days behind the rest of the squad.
While he struggled at the time to deal with the first serious injury and disappointment of his career, Sarota said his comeback from the knee surgery has him more resilient than ever.
"When I was fit [before the injury] I was playing a game on the weekend, training during the week and it become like an every day job," the former Brisbane Roar star said.
"After the injury my season was done and that was it.
"The positive thing after the injury is you become a lot more mentally strong.
"For any player, no matter when they are injured it's always frustrating. I missed the first half of the season with my knee injury but it feels strong now."
"I'm feeling good and I'm feeling pretty confident after the season I've had," he said.
"Obviously I'm very happy with what I did this season and I want to continue that into these camps.
"I think [this week] is important for everyone but for me I just want to continue doing what I've been doing. “There's no real pressure, obviously just relax and focus on that and we'll see what happens."
Having gone out of his way to get Troisi back to Australia, Postecoglou is obviously a fan of his talent and believes he could add the X-Factor against Spain, the Netherlands and Chile in Brazil.
Troisi is hopeful his ability to play anywhere along the line behind the striker and his pace and creativity will work in his favour when it comes to making the final 23-man squad.
"I think if you just look at what I've done this season, I'm playing as a 10 and not only creating goals but scoring goals," he said.
"People are saying I'm a striker which I'm not.
"For me I think I bring something a little bit different. I can play with the ball and play people in and also run in behind and score goals as well, which is quite hard to find. I think that's why I'm in the squad.
“One of the reasons he brought me to Victory was because he likes the attacking style of football I play.
"So it's looking positive and that's what I've done this season and obviously he's happy with it."
Troisi will be hoping to show all of that when the Socceroos play their farewell friendly against South Africa in Sydney on May 26.
Postecoglou will then cut three players from his squad the following day before a 27-man squad head to Brazil on May.