Taggart sticking with Fulham

Socceroos striker Adam Taggart says he’s not currently entertaining a move away from Fulham despite reported interest from other clubs.

A-League clubs as well as Dutch outfit Roda JC have allegedly made enquiries about the 22-year-old in recent weeks.

After a promising pre-season where he scored against Hertha Berlin and set up another against Aston Villa, he is pressing for a Fulham competitive debut.

However, Taggart wasn’t in either of Fulham’s opening two matchday squads for the new Championship campaign, after an injury-ravaged first season at the club.

The former A-League Golden Boot winner suffered a minor hamstring niggle a fortnight ago, which forced him out of the season opener.

Taggart told FourFourTwo he is 100 per cent fit again and only thinking about breaking through at Fulham amid the transfer speculation.

“There’s always going to be a bit of talk here and there - for me, all my focus is on Fulham,” Taggart said.

“The circumstances haven’t changed, if anything they’ve got better after this pre-season.

“Now I’m back fit, I’m ready to roll again.”

Taggart was part of the Cottagers’ squad which travelled to Portugal and Austria in pre-season where they faced strong clubs such as Hertha, Villa and Eintracht Frankfurt.

After last season’s long-term groin injury, Taggart worked hard in pre-season to push his case after positive discussions with boss Kit Symons.

The youngster’s progress during the Portugal and Austria trips has offered reason for optimism that his breakthrough isn’t far off.

“Playing competitive games again against top opposition was nice to experience,” Taggart said. 

“It felt like it’d been a long time, but in those games it all came back pretty quickly.

“It was nothing but positive to be able to play in those games and get into the groove of playing quality opposition.”

Fulham are ambitious about winning promotion to the Premier League, after slumping down to 17th in their first season back in the second tier. Taggart is confident, despite that, opportunities will be forthcoming.

“Last year collectively we didn’t achieve anywhere near what we were hoping to,” he said.

“Everyone is starting at a clean slate this season, everyone has had to fight for their position and that was exactly what I wanted to hear.

“I just hope I get given a fair chance against everybody else and that’s what I’ll continue to do now I’m back fit.”

Taggart underwent a scan on his latest setback which had provided the all-clear. He insisted his absence was only precautionary.

The Socceroo injured the same hamstring upon his return to fitness following his groin issues last term and all parties had opted to err on the side of caution.

“The last thing you want to do is go and damage your hamstring in the first game of the season,” he said.

“After last year’s experience it was something I thought about carefully.”

Fulham are next in action on Thursday morning (AEST) away to Hull City in the Championship.