The FourFourTwo Preview: Aston Villa vs Man City
ASTON VILLA FORM
- Aston Villa 0-4 Tottenham (LC)
- Norwich 0-1 Aston Villa (Prem)
- Aston Villa 1-2 Newcastle (Prem)
- Aston Villa 3-0 Rotherham (LC)
- Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool (Prem)
MAN CITY FORM
- Man City 5-0 Wigan (LC)
- Man City 4-1 Man Utd (Prem)
- Plzen 0-3 Man City (CL)
- Stoke 0-0 Man City (Prem)
- Man City 2-0 Hull (Prem)
Villa’s young side have struggled in front of their own fans so far – they were taken apart by Tottenham in the Capital One Cup in midweek – and the news that Christian Benteke will be sidelined for four to six weeks will do little to improve morale going into this fixture. Having dragged his side out of the relegation zone last term, the striker had scored four already this season before picking up a hip injury in last week’s win at Norwich.
Player to watch: Alvaro Negredo (Man City)
LAST FIVE MEETINGS
- Aston Villa 0-1 Man City (Prem, Mar 13)
- Man City 5-0 Aston Villa (Prem, Nov 12)
- Man City 2-4 Aston Villa (LC, Sep 12)
- Aston Villa 0-1 Man City (Prem, Feb 12)
- Man City 4-1 Aston Villa (Prem, Oct 11)
It’s a case of one step forward, two steps back for Lambert in the Villa dugout. Just as his young charges show signs that they are coming of age, they are prone to falling flat, as they did so regularly last season. But the Glaswegian has no intention of sacrificing his ideas on how the game should played, and insists he “trusts” his team more this term.
As deadpan as ever in interviews, some much-needed consistency in the league – especially at home – could be just the thing to bring a smile to his face.
Facts and figures
- The Villans have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last 13 Premier League home games.
- Manchester City have won six of their last seven Premier League encounters with Aston Villa.
- The last four Premier League meetings between Aston Villa and Manchester City at Villa Park have seen a total of five goals scored.
- Brad Guzan has had the most touches of any Villa player in two games this season (Arsenal & Norwich), something no other goalkeeper has done for a side even once in 2013-14.
- Aston Villa have conceded nine goals from penalties since the start of last season; a joint-PL-high with Arsenal.
- After replacing Christian Benteke against Norwich last week, Libor Kozak was on the field for one minute and 41 seconds before scoring his first-ever Premier League goal – the fastest goal by a substitute this season.
- Along with bottom club Sunderland, Aston Villa are the only team yet to win a single point at home this season.
- Man City have kept three clean sheets in their last four Premier League away games.
- However, the Citizens have won only three of their last 10 top-flight matches away from the Etihad Stadium (D3 L4).
- Aston Villa have lost their last three Premier League home games and have suffered nine defeats in their last 13 at Villa Park.