FFA Cup: Victory marred by Thompson injury

Melbourne Victory have ended Adelaide United's FFA Cup defence with a niggly 3-1 win over their fierce rivals at AAMI Park on Tuesday night.

Victory and Hume are through to the semi-finals, the latter coming from behind twice to win a thrilling encounter in extra time.

Three weeks out from the start of the A-League season and the reigning Champions and Premiers looked in good form.

But the win was marred by a late knee injury to Archie Thompson following a slip by Michael Marrone. 

The A-League record goal scorer was stretchered off just minutes from time after earlier earning Victory a penalty.

Inaugural Cup holders, Adelaide, put in a lacklustre first half, copping two goals from Gui Finkler and Kosta Barbarouses that proved terminal.

The Reds put in a much more competitive second-half  but the damage had already been done.

In the other quarter-final Hume City twice came from behind to defeat Oakleigh Cannons 3-2 in extra time.

The game was not without controversy with Hume City adamant that Oakleigh defender Matthew Foschini remained on the pitch after being issued two yellows.

This is how the games unfolded...

Melbourne Victory 3 (Finkler 10', Barbarouses 45+1', Berisha pen 82')

Adelaide United 1 (Carrusca pen 78')

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Attendance: 10,521

Two of the Hyundai A-League’s fiercest rivals go head-to-head in a blockbuster Westfield FFA Cup quarter-final as Kevin Muscat’s free-scoring Victory take on defending Cup champions Adelaide United.

GOAL 10': A stunning free kick from Gui Finkler whistles past a static Eugene Galekovic and into the top corner to give Victory the lead.  The Reds perhaps lucky still to have a 11 on the park after Osama Malik's foul on  Fahid Ben Khalfallah opened the opportunity for the home side.

GOAL 45+1': Disaster for Adelaide! The Reds hit with a second on the cusp of half-time and their Cup defence looks in deep trouble. Ben Khalfallah is released down the left and sends in a brilliant cross that Kosta Barbarouses latches onto at the far post to send Victory into the sheds with a two-goal buffer.

PENALTY 78': The Reds pull one back after dominating the second-half. Daniel Georgievski appears to elbow Craig Goodwin in the back as both players go for the ball. Marcelo Carrusca steps up and puts it away the penalty to reduce the deficit.

PENALTY 82': That could be the death blow for Adelaide. Eugene Galekovic brings down substitute Archie Thompson in the box and Besart Berisha steps up to the spot. Galekovic guesses the right way but can't stop the Albanian firing home Victory's third.


Hume City 3 (Markelis 17', 84', Schroen 118')

Oakleigh Cannons 2 (Rooney 3', Piemonte 34')

ABD Stadium, Meadow Heights (VIC)

Two PS4 NPL Victoria clubs with a Westfield FFA Cup semi-final as the prize - this is the biggest night of their respective histories.

GOAL 3': Former Newcastle Jet Sean Rooney stuns the home fans by putting Oakleigh Cannons in the lead with just three minutes on the clock.

GOAL 17': Another former A-League player on the scoresheet as ex Melbourne Victory forward Theo Markelis unleashes a thunderbolt and the contest is back on level pegging.

GOAL 34': Oakleigh Cannons re-take the lead after a scramble in the box as Dean Piemonte fires home on the second attempt. The midfielder turns, shoots and scores from close range, netting his second goal of the Cup campaign.

GOAL 84': A huge night for Markelis who brings up his brace but, more importantly, puts away the equaliser to keep Hume in the contest.


GOAL 118': Hume into the semi-finals. Nick Hegarty unleashes a rocket that the Oakleigh goalkeeper spills for a Marcus Schroen tap-in.