Fornaroli magic sends City into semis

Bruno Fornaroli has produced a brilliant brace to lift Melbourne City past Perth Glory 2-0 at AAMI Park on Sunday evening to book a spot in the semi-finals.


City will face Adelaide United in the semi-finals on Friday night at Coopers Stadium.

The story of the night was the Uruguayan who executed a wonderful bicycle kick to open the scoring on 40 minutes, before he doubled City's advantage with a fine second-half free-kick.

Melbourne City looked the stronger of the two teams to start and peppered the goal early on with an opportunity from Nick Fitzgerald drawing a save from Glory keeper Ante Covic early on.

Glory would test Sorensen on the 10 minute mark when a break from a City attack found Harold who crossed at the Dane, who couldn't hold the ball and Diego Castro was unable to bound it into the net.

Fourteen minutes in, and an Aaron Mooy free kick tested the Glory defence, with Covic parrying the ball away and despite penalty calls, referee Chris Beath waved away City's claims after Andy Keogh and Castro looked to have brought down a player in the box.

Fornaroli thought he gave the home side the lead after 17 minutes when he stepped inside Josh Risdon and slotted it past Covic however Anthony Caceres was deemed offside after running into the line of play.

Melbourne City would open the scoring five minutes before the half-time break in the most spectacular fashion.

Some determined attacking from Mooy drew a corner from Covic and the resulting set piece found the Uruguayan in the box, who despite being marked by three men, managed an overhead bicycle kick that found nothing but net.

Glory had a case for a high boot, but Fornaroli's brilliance couldn't be denied.

Minutes after the restart Gyorgy Sandor had a golden opportunity to level the scores after Castro’s back heel unleashed Marc Warren on the wing, whose cross was palmed to the Hungarian who couldn’t convert.

The visitors again persisted to attack and on the hour mark, Nebojsa Marinkovic unleashed Keogh on the left wing however the City defence proved up to the task.

City stung themselves into action just minutes later when Mooy unleashed a shot from outside the box.

The midfielder again could have doubled the side's lead after the visitors gave the Socceroo far too much time and space outside the box but he could only curl his shot over the top of Covic’s goal.

The home side continued to press with a vocal home crowd behind them and Ben Garrucio would again spurn an opportunity fumbling with the ball in the box as the home side went for the kill.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, Fornaroli had a missed header from a corner and a Mooy free kick saw the home side again continue to pressure the Glory as the visitors began to tire.

It would take the spectacular to again make the difference as Fornaroli was tripped up outside the box and the Uruguayan stepped up to take the free kick.

With expert precision, the striker placed the ball to the right of the outstretched Covic and doubled the home side's lead with 15 minutes left on the clock.

And it well could have been three for City as Marc Marino beared down on goal, but Shane Lowry raced back with a last ditch effort to spare the Glory blushes.

Fitzgerald would again have a chance to make his mark on the scoreboard but skied his shot high and Marinkovic also missed a chance to put Glory back into the game late with his bullet of a strike narrowly missing to the right of Sorensen.

With four minutes of injury time, Glory tried to spark a late comeback through a Marinkovic free kick, but Melbourne City secured their second semi-final berth in two years to the cheers of their home supporters.