No decision on Abbas abuse row

Western Sydney Wanderers striker Brendan Santalab has yet to learn his fate after a lengthy hearing into abuse allegations failed to reach a conclusion.

The independent Disciplinary Committee met until 11pm on Monday night, taking evidence from Santalab and Sydney FC player Ali Abbas who lodged a complaint following the recent Sydney derby.  

Iraqi-born Abbas maintains his culture and religion were vilified during a fiery encounter between the two teams at Allianz Stadium earlier this month.

A statement from Football Federation Australia said the “evidence had yet to be concluded” and the “matter was adjourned to a date to be fixed”.

Santalab has repeatedly denied the claims saying there was nothing in the comments between the two players.

“These things happen," he said. "I was unhappy in the last derby. He’s unhappy this time, so it makes it one-one."

A fired-up Abbas had to be restrained by teammates during the derby and told Fox Sports immediately post match: “We are not here to attack religion or culture, we are here to play football.

"I come from a different country, I respect everyone here. I should get it back. If I don't get it back, I'm going to attack. That's what happened.

"If people attack religion, if people attack culture - I'm against that. We need to stop that."