Wright confirms Socceroos selection

Uncapped and relatively unknown Australian defender Bailey Wright has confirmed he’s been selected in the Socceroos’ 30-man provisional squad for the 2014 World Cup ahead of Wednesday's official announcement.

Fox Sports News reported on Tuesday that Wright would be part of the provisional squad, which Ange Postecoglou will announce at 11am (Sydney time) on Wednesday.

However, Wright’s selection was confirmed by his League One club Preston North End on their website on Tuesday afternoon (UK time).

Melbourne-born Wright, 21, has never been capped at international level, let alone called into a national team squad.

The inclusion of the former Joey comes as a shock, but amid a spate of injuries to defensive options including Trent Sainsbury (knee), Curtis Good (hip) and Rhys Williams (Achilles).

“It hasn’t really hit me yet to be honest. Obviously it is something I am very proud of, I wasn’t really expecting it,” Wright told PNE.com.

“I have spoken with all the family back home and they are just as shocked as me really.”

Wright’s call-up arrives after a solid season with League One play-off contenders Preston North End where he made 54 appearances in all competitions.

The youngster revealed he initially had an inkling the phone call to confirm his selection was a hoax.

“I wasn’t sure if it was legit at first, but I actually knew the guy who called me because it was Joel Freeme who used to look after the Joeys,” Wright said.

“I hadn’t spoken to him since then because of not really being involved with the Australia setup since, but it was nice to hear his voice again and to get some good news.”

The former Victorian Institute of Sport product will offer Postecoglou flexibility in defence, capable of playing centrally and as a full back.

Wright spent his younger playing days at Langwarrin, Mornington and Dandenong Thunder, and admitted going to the pinnacle of his trade, the World Cup gave him “goosebumps”.

“When you say the words ‘World Cup’ I get goosebumps a little bit, I grew up as a kid watching World Cups,” he said.

“I have still got a lot of work to do to get myself in that squad for the tournament, but I am a step closer than I was in the last few months.

“I have always been a believer in concentrating on doing well for your Club and your Club doing well and then things like this take care of themselves.”

He added that he was determined to convince Postecoglou to include him in the final 23 which will be confirmed by June 2 ahead of Australia’s opener against Chile on June 13 in Cuiaba.

“It is a massive step for me to get myself in and amongst that squad,” he said. “It is my first time and it is a massive squad to be a part of and I am itching to get involved and be a part of it.

“It is always something that you strive for and want to be part of and I am living it now I suppose and the chance is sort of surreal.

“I am thrilled to get in the 30, but I will be disappointed if I don’t get myself in the 23 now, that is the goal you set yourself, you are in there, you have a great opportunity to prove yourself and get yourself to the World Cup.”

Wright's immediate concern will be North End's promotion play-off away to Rotherham, following a 1-1 first-leg draw at Preston.