FFA Cup: Two-minute wrap

Day two of the FFA Cup may not have had the goals, giant killing and televisual skills of day one but it certainly had the excitement. 

The introduction of A-League teams was overshadowed by closely fought ties involving NPL teams. With the game in Hobart going to penalties, a third away win of the night was secured to top off another great set of games. Tuggeranong United, St Albans Saints, Perth Glory and Adelaide United all secured themselves a place in the draw for the round of 16.

South Hobart FC v Tuggeranong United

Any fan who streamed this game live on the internet will have enjoyed every minute. Social media may have been awash with comments regarding the quality of the commentary but both teams get huge credit for making the whole tie enjoyable. The team from ACT are indebted to sub Zach Munster who equalised five minutes from time after his side scored an own goal in the 69th minute. With the scores deadlocked 1-1 after extra time it came down to penalties and the visitors prevailed 5-4.

Parramatta FC v St Albans Saints

It was the luck of the Irish for the Saints as Barry Devlin’s goal in the first half took St Albans past Parramatta. A blast from Devlin from outside of the penalty area found the top corner of the goal to put the Saints ahead. Despite the away team being reduced to 10 men with less than 10 minutes remaining, Parramatta couldn’t find a way back into the game and the Saints go marching into the round of 16.

Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory

It was the Andy Keogh show at Magic Park as Perth prolonged their winning streak against Newcastle. A goal in either half from the Ireland international, on his competitive debut for the men from WA, was enough for Perth to prevail 2-0 and reach the round of 16.  Despite Jeronimo Neumann’s shot crashing off the crossbar, there was little else for Jets coach Phil Stubbins to take from the game. 

Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix

A goal largely against the run of play for Adelaide was enough to end the competition’s perennial away team at the first hurdle. Sergio Cirio finished a slick move for the home side to give them the lead. After the break, both teams used pace to try and unlock each other. Phoenix endeavoured to find a way back into the tie but Adelaide’s goalkeeper Paul Izzo, and his post, stayed firm to deny Wellington 1-0.