Mooy double guides City to win

Melbourne CIty have overcame a one goal deficit at half-time to power home 4-1 against the Central Coast Mariners in front of 7,535 fans at AAMI Park.

Despite being in utter control for majority of the contest, City found themselves under pressure when Mitch Austin fired home a swift counter-attack to give Tony Walmsley’s side a 1-0 lead into the half-time break.

But City roared back with a scintillating second-half display of football, with goals to Patrick Kisnorbo, Ben Garuccio and a brace to Aaron Mooy ensuring John van’t Schip's side remained in touch with the summit of the Hyundai A-League table.

City headed into the clash having beaten the Mariners on both occasions this season and with Brisbane and Western Sydney dropping points in their respective Round 20 fixtures, van’t Schip’s side knew it represented a golden opportunity to close the gap at the top of the table.

The home side immediately stamped its authority on the contest and were in total control from the first whistle, creating numerous first-half goalscoring opportunities against a Central Coast outfit content on defending deep and absorbing pressure on the counter attack.

Retre was lively in midfield during the early stages of the match and came agonisingly close to opening the scoring after just seven minutes, unleashing a curling effort narrowly wide of Izzo’s left hand post.

City continued to probe forward with great intensity and Fornaroli had Central Coast ‘keeper Paul Izzo rooted to the spot only nine minutes later, however the Uruguayan’s swerving effort sailed inches wide of the post.

The Mariners’ shot-stopper then made a sensational save to keep his side on level terms in the 20th minute, backpedalling rapidly to tip a clever backwards header from Nick Fitzgerald over the crossbar after a superb chipped ball from Aaron Mooy.

For all City’s early first-half dominance, the reward was not yet translated onto the scoreboard, and the hosts paid the ultimate price as the Mariners stunned the home crowd in the 34th minute with the opening goal.

A quick break from a dangerous City corner saw the pacey Mitch Austin spring clear in behind the defence from inside his own half. When it comes to a foot race, Austin is seldom caught and the Englishman finished with aplomb past Sorensen at the near post to give his side the lead against the run of play.

Fornaroli had a golden chance to level the scores almost immediately but could only send his free header straight into the midriff of Izzo, while referee Stephen Lucas waved away claims for a penalty when Garuccio was brought down inside the area by Roux, as City entered the break down, but not disheartened.

City began the second half at a similar intensity to the first and were on level terms only three minutes after the restart. It was captain Kisnorbo to the rescue, evading his marker to nod an inch-perfect free-kick from Mooy past Izzo for his second goal for the season – ironically, both of which have come against the Mariners.

There was a collective sense of relief reverberating around AAMI Park following Kisnorbo’s equalizer, as City threw down the gauntlet with an incessant second-half onslaught on the Mariners goal.

Golden Boot leader Fornaroli found himself in an excellent position to fire City into the lead in the 52nd minute after latching on to a fizzing cross from Fitzgerald at the back post, but the Uruguayan got tangled up in his own feet and could only dab a tame effort straight at Izzo.

It was an uncharacteristically difficult night at the office for Fornaroli, who only managed to produce an air swing only two yards out from goal, before Alex Wilkinson’s follow up bounced through a sea of defenders before cannoning off the post and into the arms of a grateful Izzo.

Despite a series of missed opportunities, City continued to push on in the final third and were eventually rewarded with an opportunity in the 53rd minute to take the lead from the penalty spot – an opportunity which was nearly prevented by the brilliance of Izzo.

A neat through ball from Ivan Franjic released Fornaroli one-on-one with the Mariners ‘keeper, who stood up tall to repel the initial shot, before springing to his right to make a sensational save from Fitzgerald’s follow up effort.

The ball then fell out to Garuccio, whose effort was cleared off the line by a desperate Mariners defence, until Fitzgerald was eventually fouled inside the penalty area by Jacob Poscoliero.

Up stepped Aaron Mooy – after a lengthy 10 minute delay following a serious shoulder injury to Storm Roux – who emphatically smashed home the spot-kick into the top corner to give City the lead.

The floodgates then opened when Garuccio made it 3-1 only three minutes later, this time latching onto a clever pass from Fornaroli before smashing an effort past Izzo at the near post.

Fornaroli was determined to get onto the scoresheet but was brilliantly thwarted by Izzo in quick succession, while substitute Jacob Melling nearly capped off his introduction with a sensational long range effort that cannoned off the crossbar.

But it was Mooy who would put the icing on the cake in the 10th minute of stoppage time, drilling a trademark free-kick off the base of the post and into the net to cap off a sensational City comeback.