Coach Phil Stubbins says he is committed to building a successful A-League club in Newcastle following FFA’s termination of the Newcastle Jets’ licence.
Football Federation Australia ousted owner Nathan Tinkler on Wednesday for failure to pay players and staff and to meet operational requirements.
A licence will be issued to a new entity owned and controlled by FFA with current players of the Jets offered new contracts.
Stubbins, who has been overseas on a scouting trip, told FourFourTwo he is keen to be part of the club going forward.
“I return this weekend from this trip to Europe that made for an insightful and potentially fruitful visit with some very good targets identified,” he said in a statement.
“However, it's obviously disappointing to now see the news regarding the club’s immediate future after making the venture over in good faith in an attempt to strengthen the clubs roster.
“I really hope everything is sorted out as quickly as possible for everyone involved with the club and all efforts are made to get the Jets in a position to provide some real hope for the future to our members, stakeholders and supporters.”
Stubbins was appointed by the Jets in May 2014 on a two-year deal but, in his first season at the club, managed just three wins from 27 matches leaving the outfit bottom of the league.
The 52-year old Englishman previously coached in the Victorian Premier League, at the AIS and in Thailand, as well as serving as an assistant at Adelaide United.
“I’m 100% committed to (Newcastle),” Stubbins said.
“I think we've now got a chance to rebuild well. There's a lot of good people and things in place at the club that with the addition of a balanced roster and a stabilised day-to-day running can assist the club to gain the gap on finals football.
“I took the entire pre-season with Adelaide United as interim head coach under FFA administration in 2010 and the club went on to finish third that season.”comments