Bozanic 'hungry' for Socceroos return
The 26-year-old left-sided midfielder played two games at last year’s World Cup but has fallen down the pecking order in recent times.
Bozanic left Swiss club Luzern in July after two years in Europe, eventually penning a three-year marquee deal with Melbourne Victory in September.
Two months without a club hardly helped his cause, leading him to miss Australia’s past three squads.
Bozanic now has games coming regularly and having netted his first Victory goal – the opener in Saturday’s 2-0 FFA Cup final triumph over Perth Glory - he is eyeing off a Socceroos return.
“I’m always hungry to be a part of the Socceroos,” the seven-time Australia international told FourFourTwo.
“I hope that can come again.”
After this week’s 2018 World Cup qualifiers against Kyrgyzstan and Bangladesh, the Socceroos are not in action until late March, close to the conclusion of the A-League regular season.
With that in mind, Bozanic is hoping to put together a strong campaign with the ambitious Victory to boost their title hopes but also his national team bid.
“I just have to focus on what I need to do here at Melbourne,” Bozanic said.
“Hopefully we’re very successful and come that time in March I’m up for selection and I’m chosen.
“It’s great to be back in the A-League. I hope to continue to do well with Melbourne Victory.
“I hope we can be very successful as a team and I can be a big part of the Socceroos as well.
“That’s what I’m looking to achieve this season.”
The former Central Coast man had initially been keen to remain in Europe before opting to join Victory.
He insisted, despite not getting a call-up since returning home, the switch had not affected his Socceroos chances.
“It’s a very strong league,” he said. “The Socceroos boss chooses players based on their performances, no matter what league they play in as long as it’s a strong league.
“Definitely the A-League is a very strong competition. I hope I’ll get my chance again with the Socceroos.”