Asian Cup's World Cup boost

The FFA is banking on a blazing World Cup campaign from the Socceroos' local rivals to bolster Australian interest in January's Asian Cup.

The Socceroos match against Spain on June 23 will mark the 200 Days Out mark for the start of the  tournament, and the local organising committee hope stars from Japan, South Korea and Iran can make headlines in their remaining games.

The FFA reckon a few Asian superstars can help bring in the crowds to the East Coast venues hosting the competition, along with Ange's emerging Roos, boosted by the return from injury of established names like Robbie Kruse, Tom Rogic and Rhys Williams.

"We want to be building up to the Asian Cup on the back of a great performance from Australia but I don't think it's dependent on the Socceroos," said Asian Cup organiser Mark Falvo in Vitoria today.

"I think we still stand to see some excellent football. The quality of football in Asia is on the rise.

There are a number of other Asian stars starting to emerge now.

"Keisuke Honda scored a cracking goal last night, Yuto Nagatomo plays for Inter, Shinji Kagawa plays for Manchester United - guys that perhaps Australians are less than familiar with at the moment, but they will certainly know them by January 2015.

"It definitely would be handy of course for the Asian teams to perform well in this World Cup but we have seen the standard of Asian football is on the rise. I think Australian will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of football that they see in January 2015."

He also revealed Lucas Neill and Alessandro Del Piero will continue to be Ambassadors for the tournament, despite Neill's time with the Socceroos apparently over, while Del Piero will exit Australia for good after August's All Stars clash with his former club Juventus.

But Falvo was optimistic Australians will flock to the tournament's clashes for their own taste of a World Cup-type competition on their doorstep, and that they had picked up a few lessons from their experience so far in Brazil.

They were also relieved not to have to build any new stadiums for the competition - unlike Brazil which has been mired in controversy as a result - instead using the existing facilities in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Newcastle and Brisbane.

"Fortunately we don't have to build any stadiums so we're ahead of the game there, but there are some positives we are taking away here from what we've observed so far," said Falvo.

"Certainly the fan parks where the fans have had the chance to enjoy the football is something we'd be looking at for the Asian Cup.

On the whole the way the tournament has been marketed on the ground, the way the cities have been dressed to make it feel like you are at a World Cup, they are the kind of things we'll be looking at for the Asian Cup."

He also shrugged off controversy about the lack of a World Cup fan park in Melbourne this month but said they would aiming to have them in all the venue cities in January...but hinting that cities like Adelaide and Perth will also miss out on the fan sites too as well as hosting matches.

"It hasn't been my responsibility to organise a fan park in Melbourne for the World Cup," he said. "But as LOC we are keen to take the Asian Cup as far and wide as it can go and that's why we are looking at establishing fan parks across all of our host cities in 2015.

"We're going to have a lot of visitors from around the world; I think it will be a tremendous celebration of Australian Asian football. Australia will quickly understand that this is the premier event in Asian sport, and it's a once in a lifetime event - and I think Australians will get behind it."