Just Eiffel...Osieck sacked after France debacle

HOLGER Osieck has been sensationally sacked as Socceroos coach following an embarrassing defeat in Paris this morning.

The German was fired immediately after a second consecutive 6-0 defeat, leaving assistant coast Aurelio Vidmar to take over the reins for the friendly against Canada on Tuesday.

Football Federation Australia CEO David Gallop reportedly addressed the team after they were comprehensively thrashed by France and in the wake of a similar humiliation against Brazil.

It is understood the FFA intends to have a new coach in place before November when the Socceroos are due to continue their World Cup preparations.

The governing body will need to decide whether to go with an experienced overseas candidate or look closer to home.

Senior Socceroos took to Twitter to express their feelings about the sacking.

Socceroos skipper Lucas Neill tweeted: "Sitting with Holger now, Australia should be proud and thankful. Asian cup final and WC qualification. Thanks and all the best boss!!"

Tim Cahill took a swipe at the decision, tweeting: "Want 2 say Thankyou to Holger for getting us to our 3rd WORLD CUP. Is this a first get us to WC and get the sack. Sad day for Football in oz."

But fans were less forgiving - #HolgerOut trending across Australia after the Paris loss.

Earlier this week a defiant Osieck dismissed speculation about his tenure, describing it as an unwanted destraction.

But FFA said the decision to dismiss the coach followed an internal review of the World Cup qualification campaign and the international matches played since.

Chairman Frank Lowy said Osieck's contract was terminated in the long-term interests of Australian football.

“The decision is based on the longer term issues of the rejuvenation of the Socceroos team and the preparations for the World Cup and the Asian Cup,” Lowy said.

“FFA has set a strategic objective of having a highly competitive team in Brazil and then handing over a team capable of winning the Asian Cup on home soil in January 2015.

“We have come to the conclusion that change is necessary to meet those objectives.

“I thank Holger for his contribution to Australian football and wish him well in his future endeavours.”

Gallop added: “I have given our new Head of National Performance, Luke Casserly, and the National Technical Director Han Berger, the task of conducting a review of our World Cup planning.

“The review will include all aspects of the technical and logistical preparations, national teams unit staffing and the appointment of a new Head Coach.

“The World Cup kicks off in eight months and the Asian Cup is 15 months away. We are determined to make the most of the historical opportunities that these tournaments present to Australian football.

“FFA will give the highest priority to these projects because the Socceroos are the standard bearers for Australia on the world stage."