Positive turn for NSW A-League sides in NPL action

Whilst results seem to continue to go the way of New South Wales A-League clubs, it was a mixed bag for the other A-League clubs in NPL action, as Michael Thompson reports.


It was a mixed bag for both Melbourne City and Victory over the weekend, with City recording a win in the NPL 2 West, while Melbourne Victory got thrashed on a cold Saturday night.

Victory suffered one of their most debilitating losses with a 6-0 thrashing at the hands of Hume City at ABD Stadium on Saturday night. Chris Oldfield got things going for the home team, as he gave Hume a 1-0 lead and three minutes later Hume were 2-0 up from Petar Franjic who headed home from a Nick Hegarty corner. Hegarty joined the party in the 30th minute and five minutes later Kristian Trajceski made it 4-0 for Hume before half-time. Jeremy Walker scored Hume’s fifth goal of the game in the 55th minute, before Craig Carley scored the final goal in the 63rd minute to make it 6-0 and three points for Hume. Victory’s seventh straight loss sees them continue to languish bottom of the table, and staring the down the barrel of being relegated back to the NPL 2 next season.

Melbourne City had a positive result, with City winning at home to Springvale White Eagles to stay top of NPL 2 West. It was a good start for City who had most of the attacking in the first half with a strike from Stefan Zinni in the 30th minute giving the hosts a handy 1-0 lead going into half-time. The second half saw both teams compete well for possession, however City made it 2-0 through captain Christopher Cristaldo who caught the White Eagles defenders napping.


Western Sydney Wanderers have gone to the top of the table in the NPL 2 NSW competition with a stunning win against Bankstown City. Bankstown scored first blood through Gerard Ouffoue in the 17th minute, Wanderers striked back through Keanu Baccus nine minutes later to make the scores 1-1 before the end of the half. Tariq Maia started things off for the Wanderers as they took the lead in the 54th minute. It looked that Wanderers were going to win, but Bankstown striker Jack Musgrave equalized in the 87th minute, before a wonder strike from Tariq Maia in the 93rd minute secured the three points for West Sydney.

A 9-man Sydney FC lost to the Northern Tigers 1-0 on Saturday night at Lambert Park, with George Timotheou and Daniel Araujo sent off in the second half due to both men having two yellows. An own goal in the first half by Patrick Flottman who deflected it into the net gave the Tigers a win, and knocked Sydney from top spot as they stay in second place.

Central Coast Mariners stay mid-table after a win against Bankstown Berries with a 2-1 win. The Mariners scored from Cooper Buswell and Ryan Peterson which was only met by the Berries Gavin Forbes, who got one back to give the home team some parity, but the Mariners held on for a brilliant victory, and three points to stay in sixth.

Newcastle Jets continue to climb up the Northern NSW NPL ladder with a 4-0 win against Charlestown City Blues over the weekend. Goals from Kristian Brymora and Cameron Joice got the Jets 2-0 up in the first half. After the restart, Kristian Brymora scored his second goal before Charles Horsley finished it up and three more points to the young team from the Hunter Valley.


The young Brisbane Roar have secured three points over Olympic FC this past Saturday night at the Cleveland Showgrounds with a 1-0 win. 

A 14th minute strike from Aaron Reardon got the hosts off to a good start, and had a few more chances in the first half to double their lead through Nicholas Panetta.

Ramone Close had a few close ones for the visitors as Olympic FC pushed hard, but was saved at the last line of defense.

Brisbane managed to hold on for the win, and leapfrog Olympic into 7th place on the ladder.


Adelaide United had a week off from competition in the FFSA NPL, but are at home this Saturday Afternoon against Croydon Kings with kickoff at 3pm.


Inglewood was too good for Perth Glory on Saturday afternoon at Inglewood Stadium as they won 3-2 in a tight contest.

The Glory got off to a good start through Nikola Talimdzioski who scored first for Glory, before a John Migas goal from Ingleswood cancelled out the lead heading into half time.

Josh Periera got the home team off to a good start in the 57th minute, scoring Inglewood’s second goal of the game. Irish marquee Kenny Keogh got Inglewood’s third on the board, before a late one from Jack Iredale got Glory back to a one-goal deficit.

Inglewood's win keeps them on top of the NPL ladder, while Perth drop back into the bottom three of the table with Armadale and Subiaco.