FourFourTwo's best 100 Premier League matches ever: 40-31

Our countdown continues with Ruud's revenge and drama on the south coast

We are part of The Trust Project What is it?

Words: James MawGary Parkinson, Phil HaighRik SharmaJake Gable

40. Wigan 3-2 Arsenal, 18/04/2010

This match will be remembered for an incredible 11 minutes that simultaneously ended one side’s championship challenge and the other’s fight against relegation – we bet you can't guess which team was which.

Arsenal were title outsiders, but with leaders Chelsea losing at Tottenham 24 hours previously, they had the chance to move within three points of the summit with a win. The Gunners looked set to do exactly that as they entered the final 10 minutes with a 2-0 lead; the Latics had other ideas, though, and when Ben Watson pulled one back in the 80th minute they suddenly found hope.

Lukasz Fabianski then gifted Titus Bramble an equaliser as the clock ticked towards 90, leaving the path clear for Charles N’Zogbia to curl home a sensational last-gasp winner. PH

Emmanuel Eboue

A disconsolate Emmanuel Eboue pictured after Arsenal's remarkable defeat

39. Man United 0-1 Arsenal, 08/05/2002

There are few more satisfying ways to wrap up a title than by winning at the home of the defending champions, which is exactly what Arsenal did in 2002. It had been a keenly-contested race for much of the season, but 11 wins on the spin gave the Gunners the chance to seal the deal at Old Trafford with a game to spare.

Sylvain Wiltord scored the only goal of a tense encounter, ensuring his place in Arsenal folklore for evermore. The victory was made all the more sweet as it came four days after Arsene Wenger's men's FA Cup final defeat of Chelsea, with the north Londoners therefore able to celebrate another Double on the pitch of their rivals. PH

38. Liverpool 2-1 Blackburn, 14/05/1995

On the final day of the league season, Kenny Dalglish's Blackburn headed to Anfield two points clear of Manchester United, who had a better goal difference and an easier fixture at safely mid-table West Ham. However, the first half went well for Rovers as Alan Shearer swept in a Paul Warhurst cross and Michael Hughes scored for the Hammers – a goal greeted warmly by all at Anfield.

After the break, though, John Barnes tapped in for Liverpool and Brian McClair levelled for United, who then dominated a determined West Ham but were denied by a string of Andy Cole misses and what Alex Ferguson described as an "obscene effort" from the Irons. Then, in the last minute, Liverpool's Jamie Redknapp whipped home a free-kick, prompting commentator Alan Green to incorrectly scream "Liverpool have handed the title to Manchester United!". They hadn't – West Ham held out for a 1-1 draw and Blackburn were champions by a point. GP

Next: 'Arry drenched