Bridges joins mass exodus at Newcastle Jets

Former Newcastle Jets captain Michael Bridges resigned as youth coach on Friday, joining the mass exodus from the embattled club. 

Bridges' resignation follows the sacking of five senior players and three coaches.

Earlier this month, CEO Robbie Middleby and Chairman Ray Baartz stepped down from their posts and a number of key players moved on.

Club owner Nathan Tinkler has taken an industrial-sized broom to the club, gutting the backroom but retaining the services of head coach Phil Stubbins.

In a brief statement Tinkler focused on Bridges' service to the club.

“We thank Michael for his contribution to the club as both a player and a coach and everyone at the club wishes him the best for the future," he said of the former Leeds star.

"We have the utmost respect for Michael and respect his decision but it is unfortunate he will not be involved in taking the club forward," he said.

Tinkler has slammed his team for their "losing culture" and said the club was being "stabbed to death internally".

Bridges made 63 appearances for the club and scored 11 goals.

Football Federation Australia has set a deadline of this week for Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group to meet their debts. It is understood the club is behind on player superannuation payments and owes money to other bodies including Northern NSW Football.

The Jets are currently sitting one from the bottom on the league ladder and coming off a 7-0 shellacking by Adelaide United.