Liverpool are set to bring in another two midfielders to their squad this January.
That's according to reports linking the Reds with reinforcements, following a poor start to the season – and though Jurgen Klopp has repeatedly stated that he prefers a smaller squad, it looks like he has no choice than to increase his tally of central midfield options.
"The solution cannot be to have a much bigger squad for the specific moment and then realise you cannot use all the players," Klopp once claimed (opens in new tab), adding, "These players can only play the football they play because they know they are needed. They are all human beings and nobody can be held back for a year and then on the last day of the year be told, 'Now we need you.'"
Despite this, Transfer Tavern (opens in new tab) claims that Klopp has agreed that the club need to sign another two midfielders in January. On Twitter (opens in new tab) on Sunday, Giannis Chorianopoulos – editor in chief (opens in new tab) of Greek outlet Sportime – confirmed the rumours, adding that Borussia Dortmund starlet Jude Bellingham is the priority.
Anfield is already stacked with midfielders. Fabinho, Thiago Alcantara, James Milner, Naby Keita, Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott, are all options for the centre of the park, with on-loan Arthur Melo and recent acquisition Fabio Carvalho giving Klopp a whopping 10 options for his midfield three, should everyone find themselves fit.
It's therefore likely that some of these players will have to leave – either in January or at the end of the season. Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita are all free agents as of the summer, though the Merseysiders could shift one of them out early and see if they can agree a transfer fee.
It is unknown whether Arthur has a recall clause but so far, he has not featured in the Premier League for the Reds.
Liverpool are languishing in midtable heading into the World Cup break, after winning four, drawing four and losing four of their opening 12 fixtures.
The Reds take on Napoli in the Champions League before facing Tottenham this Sunday.
More Liverpool stories
Liverpool continue to be linked with a move for Jude Bellingham, with a deal now potentially more likely after Bayern Munich ruled themselves out of signing the Borussia Dortmund and England star. It's also been reported that they're keeping tabs on Bayern and Germany hotshot Jamal Musiala.
In other transfer news, the Reds are said to be interested in an MLS wonderkid and a striker dubbed 'the next Erling Haaland'. Jurgen Klopp apparently wants eight players to renovate his squad, while Son Heung-min has been linked, too.
Former midfielder Graeme Souness has identified the Reds' weak area, too.
Mark White has been a staff writer on FourFourTwo since joining in January 2020, writing pieces for both online and the magazine. An encyclopedia of football shirts and boots knowledge – both past and present – Mark has also been to the FA Cup and League Cup finals for FFT and has written pieces for the mag ranging on subjects from Bobby Robson's season at Barcelona to Robinho's career. He once saw Tyrone Mings at a petrol station in Bournemouth but felt far too short to ask for a photo.
Get daily World Cup 2022 news, updates and other football frolics to your inbox
Thank you for signing up to Four Four Two. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.